Colin's Capers

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Colin Newbold

Colin's Capers

Post by Colin Newbold »

FIA MGB

Quick post following the newly rebuilt engine...went 1.1 secs quicker on the Brands Indy circuit testing last Thursday and 2.25 quicker at Snetterton 300 on Saturday in my first race this year (Classic K - CSCC).

Slight drama on lap 3 when the car developed a misfire, but as it was a one hour race it was worth fiddling which Barry did and he got me out again with a new condenser where I finished another 30 mins racing. Ok, I was last, but had great fun being so.

Next outing Brand Indy May 3/4 (Ecurie GTS - MGCC).
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Phil Riley

Re: Colin's Capers

Post by Phil Riley »

Onward and upward, Colin! Shelley and I look forward to seeing you and the team competing again this year.
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Hi Colin,

Have sent you an e-mail

Regards
Allan
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Brands May 3/4 was a bit of a let down...HUH was off colour, much like its driver who developed a nasty cold last Friday :cry:

Wil qualified quicker than me and put the car 17th out of 24. While our lap times had both improved from one year ago, we put this down to an LSD and newer tyres rather than any real improvement in power. I drove Race 1 and ended up last but one, having had two massive tank slappers and being passed by everyone I was only able to get one of them back. It felt like the car had a mind of its own, it was all over the place.

Wil started Race 2 on the Sunday at the back, and had 6 cars behind him by the time he came round Paddock Hill bend. But sadly it wasn't to last as he too succumbed to a complete spin and promptly declared the car unfit to drive. By Lap 4, we'd retired.

With Baz's help, we traced the problem to coolant being blown out of the overflow pipe and directly onto the nearside rear tyre, which explains the quirky handling. We concluded that the head gasket had blown, although there didn't appear to be water in the oil.

The head is now off and yes, that was the problem. Luckily, no apparent damage to head or bores and should be all back together by Saturday.

Next Outing: Oulton Park, Sat May 10. I have 3 spare tickets and no pit crew so would welcome any support on the day!
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Change of plan :evil:

We have diagnosed a problem larger than the head gasket, and sadly the head will have to go back for repair work. This means that I will not be racing this weekend. Bummer! I really like Oulton.

Next Outing: Donington, Sat June 7 (hopefully!)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Bad luck Col. Frankly, you don't often get away without a head skim when a head gasket goes.
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

I sneaked a quick event in before Donington...

Brands Hatch - CSCC Classic K and Swinging Sixties - May 31

Quick update for you from the weekend...ably assisted by my glamorous assistant, Baz Jones, I managed another trophy! 1st in class in the Swinging Sixties race which featured all manner of tin-tops, coupes and roadsters but nothing more than 2000cc. Started 26th out of 30, finished 14th. Result :lol: Didn't do so well in the Classic K race but hey! - I had fun :wink:

Actually, the car was still playing up, despite a cylinder head rebuild. And the latest news is not good: seems we have the same problem all over again. The engine is getting very hot, and pressurised coolant is forcing its way out of the radiator overflow pipe. At least we had a catch tank this time! Not sure if its a fuel delivery issue/a hotspot in the block/a blockage in the cooling system/ignition timing that causes it to get so hot and then damage the head or whether its the head that's not right and is causing the overheating?

Sadly, it means yet another trip back to Peter Burgess. He's being very good about it - he's obviously as concerned as I am - so he's going to do his best to fix it while I wait and get it back on the car this Friday, so I can drive the few miles back down the M1 to Donington which is Saturday's 'Equipe GTS' race. (I have a couple of spare tickets if anyone's up for it?).

BREAKING NEWS...

Just got this from the Silverstone Classic people:

"Dear Colin,

Thank you for your entry application into the Chopard International Trophy for Classic GT cars. As in previous years, we have been overwhelmed by the number of entries for this race at the Silverstone Classic meeting taking place over the weekend of 25th to 27th July. The Chopard International Trophy is set to have the 60-minute feature race on the Saturday afternoon following a Friday afternoon qualifying session.

The selection committee for this race considered all the entry applications over the weekend and we are pleased to inform you that your MG B Roadster was selected as a Confirmed Entry for this race."

See you in the paddock guys :)
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Colin,

Congratulations, I wont be there to see it, but wish you all the best and good luck.

Allan
Karl

Post by Karl »

Hi Colin, if the cylinder head is with Peter Burgess it should be ok. I had the head for our 1500 Midget modified by Peter in 1992,( modified for unleaded, valve seats, valve guides, skimmed and polished, bigger inlet valves) and it still is okay despite the engine having 106 HP, which is a lot for a 1500 Triumph engine. If there is a problem he should be able to find it. Hope all is going well.
Karl
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi Colin,

Excellent news about Silverstone. We'll be there to cheer you on. :)

With regard to the cylinder head issue, have you considered using Evans Waterless Coolant, which doesn't pressurise the system?

Paul