Devils Advocate

289, FIA & Daytona topics
agnoraan

Re: Devils Advocate

Post by agnoraan »

kaiserbilly1 wrote:Nige

I really like the sound of your concept and know that with your skill and knowhow that it will turn out to be one awesome car :D
I have just bought this. He is a 1946 Diamond T cab sitting on a 1979 Chevrolet 10 Ton truck chassis !!!!
We are currently working on him, his name is "Mr T" , making him UK compliant and adding a few wee extras to add to the fun. He has a 5.7 V8 Chevy at his heart :D
He has a 20ft deck with a 12000 LB "Badlands" winch and can tow another car behind him.
Once ready (this Friday I hope) he will be available to transport show queens and mildly distressed Cobras in the UK and Europe :wink:

WOW!!! I really like that, what a cool truck :D :D

cheers...Nige
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Marsh wrote:
My ultimate aim is to create a Cobra that looks like it would have done in the early 70's (though perhaps minus the STP stickers) - well loved, well maintained, but a well used car that wears its age with pride.

Lee
Hi Lee, I really couldn't agree more, to me the the aged," original look" is going to be the "new restoration". I think you've hit the nail well & truly, square on the head in all that you've said. My '69 Camaro has become too precious & it's now leading a cosseted life, waiting for that sunny day, which isn't why I built it. My old white Tran Am race car was an absolute hoot to hoon around in, as was my first '69 Firebird. My first '55 Chevy "street racer" in matt black ( before it became a popular thing to do) was a total blast to drive, whereas my last '55 Chevy ( candy painted over black) was a nightmare to live with, as everywhere I parked it, people used to gather around it & I was afraid of the paint getting damaged. Even though I'm a bodyman/painter by trade, trying to match the colur if something happened to it would have been nigh on impossible.

A large number of my cars have been show queens, just because I could do it & I wanted to show what I could do to promote my "top end" restoration business. It's all very well winning trophies & having numerous cars in magazines, but it's the build & driving I really enjoy. I've stopped doing car shows as they now bore me rigid, my Camaro hasn't attended any shows since being built, preferring to go to historic race meetings, to be amongst cars that, whilst being rare, are being used forthe right reasons, ie fun!! I've always said that I'd build a Cobra for myself, having built two for customers in the past & I see this one as being my last personal big build, as hopefully it'll fulfil all of my needs & aspirations

cheers...Nige
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

And here he is with a Ford Galaxie on the deck 8)

agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Cool, that just fits on there :D

cheers...Nige
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

The key to the right look is .... time and use.

My car was built in 1988 and owned by me since 1993. The paint ( whats left of it ) is 1988, the trim 1988, the threadbare carpets 1988, the drive train underneath is all bespoke and freshly powdercated and the engine fresh and run in.

Draws people like a magnet at the Revival. If you use it hard it wont take long to get the look you are after.
Early B.R.A. Warmed 3.9 Rover, 5 sp, 3.07 rear, Fully adjustable front suspension with AVO coilovers, 4 link rear suspension AVO coilovers and Panhard bar, Big 2 pot front calipers, rear discs, servo'd, adjustable front / rear bias, scruffy paint job !
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Patina is the most difficult thing to recreate. Purists can source copy parts if originals aren't available but there is no substitute for the genuine "ageing" process. These pictures are of an original 260 from the early 1960s. I just love the look of the old dusty wiring, (Although the essentials have been replaced), the worn seats and cracked paint.

You could also go down this paint look!

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

The Shepherd's Ace has had that half'n'half look for many years now...serves as a reminder to be careful on track!!!
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

The red & white car is Barrie Bird's 260 :D
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

There was a red Cobra racing at La Mans this year that had an unpainted nose, presumably as a result of an unfinished repair following an accident. Unfortunately, it had a very odd shape to it and it seems odd that it wasn't repaired correctly given that the "correct" shape is so readily available. :?

Paul
Hawk289

Post by Hawk289 »

Interesting discussion, I use to like restoring or building are back to top specification and quality. But more and more I really like cars with a bit of history showing. When my daimler rolled at goodwood, I could have replaced everything but I kept a few reminders. I look at the Hawk's I built and feel more and more they look better and better over time. When the leather is warn, a few scratches, etc. it gets a different feeling. My latest restoration is a dragster MGA and racing Cooper Mini, but will be restored back to show some of the battle signs.