Cars that rock

289, FIA & Daytona topics
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Cars that rock

Post by amulheirn »

Is anyone out there enjoying Brian Johnson of AC/DC fame presenting 'Cars that Rock' as much as I am? His style is both heart-warming and hilarious.

http://www.questtv.co.uk/cars-that-rock/

A.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Cars that rock

Post by amulheirn »

Just me then I guess!

There's also a new series of "For the Love of Cars" with Philip Glenister and Ant Anstead (MD of Evanta http://www.evanta.co.uk/) just started too: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/for-the-love-of-cars
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I think Brian Johnsons programs are great.
Watched for the love of cars last night. I thought they did a fantastic job of that DBS. Phil Glenister has a real understated appreciation of cars and his genuine enthusiasm comes across.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

I warmed to Brian Johnson immediately when he started throwing in euphemisms like 'gentleman's vegetables' into his script!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

'For the Love of Cars' is easily the best 'classics' programme on at the moment - Count Quentula could learn a thing or two from it, but he won't because he's just a used car dealer whose only concern is the value. But I do wish they didn't do this urgent timescale crap. That car simply was not done in 8 weeks - impossible. I remember when Lance McCormack restored the 'Edward and Mrs Simpson' Buick some years back it was supposedly done in 10 weeks. I saw it sitting in his workshops over a 9 month period.
Big price for the DBS - just shows originality isn't always everything!
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

...And don`t forget "CAR S.O.S" is back for a new series, Tim Shaw & Fuzz Townsend are great, spent about half an hour with them at the NEC last year! They had 7 cars done, one on the go, and needed to find another 2 for the current series, Fuzz was desperate to get hold of the Greyhound, but I know Dad wouldn`t appreciate it, even though they do 'do things right'; Have to agree with you about silly timescales, Roger!
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I also enjoyed "For the love of cars" and it was good not having to wait until the last program in the series to see how much they achieved at auction.

Did the figures quoted for how much they'd spent on it include their labour? They quoted a figure of £5,000 (IIRC) for the bodywork, which suggests that it was, although that doesn't sound like very much considering the state it was in.

A beautiful car at the end though and it will only continue to go up in value.
Maxakarudy

Post by Maxakarudy »

Rather timely coincidence with the For the Love of Cars programme restoring a DBS,as I'm on the last leg of restoring it's bigger bro, the AMV8.
In the trailer I heard the 8 week timescale, 2 things I told the bride before it started, 1. They won't be doing the engine themselves and 2. They won't be doing the bodywork either!
So they dropped the engine off at the most well respected(expensive) AM engine builder on the planet, RS Williams, together with upgraded Vantage parts, ie carbs and g/box at 15k plus an engine rebuild of at least 15-20k.
Then they return to the workshop and the tired/ battered body is in primer!, the only metalwork shown was a patch repair on the front wing, :lol:
Cost of car 37.5k, engine work 30-35k, total cost of restoration 80k?, so the retrim, body restoration, repaint and refurb of everthing else was about 10k!!!! I'm ready for the ice bucket challenge now pls
However, there was no one more surprised than the auctioneer, who estimated 70-80k at best, the car did look stunning, so fair play to everyone involved, it is TV after all not real life.

Martin
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Maxakarudy wrote:Rather timely coincidence with the For the Love of Cars programme restoring a DBS,as I'm on the last leg of restoring it's bigger bro, the AMV8.
In the trailer I heard the 8 week timescale, 2 things I told the bride before it started, 1. They won't be doing the engine themselves and 2. They won't be doing the bodywork either!
So they dropped the engine off at the most well respected(expensive) AM engine builder on the planet, RS Williams, together with upgraded Vantage parts, ie carbs and g/box at 15k plus an engine rebuild of at least 15-20k.
Then they return to the workshop and the tired/ battered body is in primer!, the only metalwork shown was a patch repair on the front wing, :lol:
Cost of car 37.5k, engine work 30-35k, total cost of restoration 80k?, so the retrim, body restoration, repaint and refurb of everthing else was about 10k!!!! I'm ready for the ice bucket challenge now pls
However, there was no one more surprised than the auctioneer, who estimated 70-80k at best, the car did look stunning, so fair play to everyone involved, it is TV after all not real life.

Martin
Very well said on all points. Have to admit to dropping my beer when they said the body resto was 5K. Still, I guess you can buy a lot of chicken wire, P38 and aerosol cans for that kind of dosh...
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Not seen Car SOS - looks interesting, what channel is it on? Is it free - if not, no hope