Christmas bucket list

Post by StewbieC »

Coming to an Online retailer before Christmas
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AC-Cobra-Models ... s=ac+cobra
:P

Re: Christmas bucket list

Post by Paul Blore »

Yes, I saw that too. :)

Could be very useful, especially for those with cars very close to original.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I wish it was going to be a REAL Haynes manual. This is part of a series that look like the real thing, but is just another book about Cobras. There will be none of the old 1. undo cylinder head studs. 2. remove cylinder heads. 3. Replacement is the reverse of removal. - more's the pity.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

That's a shame. :(

Paul
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Yep, that's the 'Chassis Handbook'. It's available from the ACOC, and is actually quite useful. Especially when you have a box full of suspension parts and no idea what goes where! It does point out the glaring issue for all originality freaks - the entire chassis uses BSF threads for everything. Even Kirkham have to use UNF. Keeping up with the Whitworths is not possible!
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Roger King wrote:I wish it was going to be a REAL Haynes manual. This is part of a series that look like the real thing, but is just another book about Cobras. There will be none of the old 1. undo cylinder head studs. 2. remove cylinder heads. 3. Replacement is the reverse of removal. - more's the pity.
It`s not like Haynes have an excuse either... JH had his Cobra since the year dot, must have had it to bits back in the day!
The problem is it won`t be a REAL Haynes manual... where "pic 15.2(c)" doesn`t look anything like your gearbox layshaft, whichever way you look at it!!!
I remember as a kid taking the Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual out of the library.... seriously weird find in this town!
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Roger King wrote:Even Kirkham have to use UNF. Keeping up with the Whitworths is not possible!
Oh yes it is...but it might add $100,000* to the cost of the build!!!! :lol: :roll:

*source....David Kirkham!
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

nikbj68 wrote:
Roger King wrote:I wish it was going to be a REAL Haynes manual. This is part of a series that look like the real thing, but is just another book about Cobras. There will be none of the old 1. undo cylinder head studs. 2. remove cylinder heads. 3. Replacement is the reverse of removal. - more's the pity.
It`s not like Haynes have an excuse either... JH had his Cobra since the year dot, must have had it to bits back in the day!
The problem is it won`t be a REAL Haynes manual... where "pic 15.2(c)" doesn`t look anything like your gearbox layshaft, whichever way you look at it!!!
I remember as a kid taking the Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual out of the library.... seriously weird find in this town!
His 289 is wonderfully ratty. I crawled all over it for photos a while back, and it's actually quite glorious - no tarting up anywhere and about as original a car that's been used like that can be. No competition history or race bits added on, and RHD, so a very valuable resource!
I can believe DK's figure for using Whitworth fine. The coarse Whitworth threads are still made, up to a point, but fine is disappearing fast. So it'd be hand cut threads everywhere.
What sad kids we were. Poring over grainy black and white photos of... oily bits of cars. Good job we've moved on. Oh, wait...
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Roger King wrote:Yep, that's the 'Chassis Handbook'. It's available from the ACOC, and is actually quite useful. Especially when you have a box full of suspension parts and no idea what goes where! It does point out the glaring issue for all originality freaks - the entire chassis uses BSF threads for everything. Even Kirkham have to use UNF. Keeping up with the Whitworths is not possible!
I'm pretty sure you'll find that BSF and Whitworth are different Roger. The thread form is the same, but the pitch is different.

Kirkham use aircraft fixings throughout, which are ridiculously expensive. As an example, the 8 fixings required to bolt the half-shafts to the dif. came to over £100 when I needed to source some myself.

Paul