Colour Help

289, FIA & Daytona topics
SiJackson

Re: Colour Help

Post by SiJackson »

peterc wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:30 am Funnily enough I think I used Nitromors but then I was stripping it back to the rovings whereas you obviously wanted the gel coat to stay in tact. The whole purpose of my exercise was to be able to cover it in a thin layer of filler to cover the rovings and then spray it body colour thus suggesting it was Ali not fibreglass.
Incidentally it was a good final result and well worth paying the spray shop. Makes a big difference when having the bonnet open at a car meeting.
Peter C
I used a soft pad on a mini grinder to get back to the rovings on the inside of the bonnet and boot. Which left me itching like a flea riddled cat for two days :D I also filled the gap between inner and outer sections with expanding foam to stiffen the bonnet as i didnt like way it sagged when propped up. i then filled the radius to give a smoother look as well as the underside of the bonnet. I'm just repeating the process on the hard top. I'm sick of sanding now :mrgreen:
Migge

Post by Migge »

I filled the gap with additional GRP particles and resin. It was okay for the first year. Now I can see in some areas where the inner frame ends :-(
It stiffens the whole contruction but I guess that I'll not repeat it again.
Special customized BRA289
SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

Migge wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:32 am I filled the gap with additional GRP particles and resin. It was okay for the first year. Now I can see in some areas where the inner frame ends :-(
It stiffens the whole contruction but I guess that I'll not repeat it again.
I want to get an alloy bonnet made sometime in the next year when my savings recover, so the glass one will do for now.
Migge

Post by Migge »

Nice
Special customized BRA289
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Try talking to Prosser Historics. He does various Ali parts for classic cars but has recently made bonnet, doors and boot lid for his Cobra so you could say he has had some direct practise on the correct shape car.
Peter C
SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

peterc wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:34 pm Try talking to Prosser Historics. He does various Ali parts for classic cars but has recently made bonnet, doors and boot lid for his Cobra so you could say he has had some direct practise on the correct shape car.
Peter C
I follow those guys on Instagram and they do a great job. They are probably my first option
Prosser Historics

Post by Prosser Historics »

Hi all, hope you’re keeping well and safe during these turbulent times.

I’d be very happy to help re aluminium body panels. We are still open for business and happy to help where I can! My website is https://www.prosserhistorics.com/ or you can email me directly on oliver@prosserhistorics.com

I’m currently putting an article together showing the bonnet that I’ve made. Hopefully it will be ready for the next edition.

BW, Oliver
Hawk 289 FIA Cobra
1979 Mitsubishi Celeste
SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

Prosser Historics wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:59 am Hi all, hope you’re keeping well and safe during these turbulent times.

I’d be very happy to help re aluminium body panels. We are still open for business and happy to help where I can! My website is https://www.prosserhistorics.com/ or you can email me directly on oliver@prosserhistorics.com

I’m currently putting an article together showing the bonnet that I’ve made. Hopefully it will be ready for the next edition.

BW, Oliver
Thanks Oliver, I will be in touch as soon as the pennys start rolling back in. Its going to be a lean few months for sure
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

I've seen Oliver's work on his own car, and it looked great. Something i'd like to do...
SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

ImageUntitled by simon jackson, on Flickr