Which fire extinguisher

289, FIA & Daytona topics
simonjrwinter

Which fire extinguisher

Post by simonjrwinter »

After my recent fuel pressure problem, I was made very aware that high pressure fuel is being pumped within inches of a very hot exhaust. While I’ve carried an extinguisher for many years in my TR6, I’ve so far not bought one for the Hawk. Any recommendations? Anyone got one built in? CO2 best?
As always, any advice appreciated
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Which fire extinguisher

Post by clive »

I don't carry an extinguisher. If there is any possibility that my car is on fire I will be legging it as fast as I can. This was my BMW 5 Series which had a fire extinguisher.

.Image
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

There was an old discussion on this forum a few years ago, where Roger King was basically saying that AFF foam extinguishers would be the best thing to carry. So that's what I bought - though I got a 2 litre one which I think is too big and will go in the garage - I'll get a 1 or 1.5 litre one.

That said, given Clive's pic above I may never actually use it - opening the bonnet may take too long. Still, I thought it was worth having.

I decided against trying to plumb in a system, thinking that it could be let off either by accident or by mischief, leaving me with an engine-bay mess.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Remember guys that should a fire break out under the bonnet you must be VERY ready to spray the extinguisher as opening the bonnet floods more air and thus more oxygen to the fire. It’s not unknown for there to be a small fireball if you open it quickly.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

These are plastic cars and subsequently the body burns very quickly as opposed to normal cars. Those of you who were at Le mans Classic in 2008 might recall Paul Daniel's "Red 5" which caught fire on the way to the circuit. He and his passenger barely managed to get out of their car before it was engulfed in flames. Paul didn't even have time to get his extinguisher out of it's bracket. The whole car was completely destroyed in minutes!

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Well I guess lining of the engine bay with ally may slightly inhibit combustion of the body, but probably not much.

So perhaps, given the speed at which these could go up, a plumbed-in CO2 system may be the best bet. Activated from the passenger compartment for speed, no need to lift the bonnet and get a fireball in the face, engine-bay would contain the gas slightly, and it won't cause a colossal mess if some prankster sets it off for you.
Phil Riley

Post by Phil Riley »

I plumbed mine in for track events etc. I have a release handle on the front, left scuttle and one in the cockpit. To avoid idiots setting it off whilst I'm not around, I have a grenade type pin at the extinguisher lever, which is mounted on the rear bulkhead – Easy to access from the driving position.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Got any photos Phil? All the plumbed-in systems I see seem to be over £500 - I guess thats because they're motorsport-approved.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

I’ve ended up buying a 2kg foam extinguisher. Pretty big, but hopefully will never have to use it.
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.