Classic cars are not historic says FIVA

Other topics
agnoraan

Re: Classic cars are not historic says FIVA

Post by agnoraan »

nikbj68 wrote:
Paul Blore wrote:Okay, I've added a tick box to the car details on the members database to indicate whether the car has historic status. Go and update you own details.
Paul
Hi. Would it be worth having 3 buttons for Historic Status: 'Yes', 'No', 'No Car/Non-UK/Not Yet Registered'? all boxes unticked indicating no information supplied, whereas now, unticked 'Yes' box could mean 'No', or not filled in.
(Mine`s not historic)

Assuming the worst above, What would the situation be for, for example, an AC Greyhound owner who`s car lost it`s Bristol engine 20+ years ago, being fitted now with a Triumph engine & `box? Seriously non-standard...would a Bristol engine & box have to be refitted to keep the car 'legal'?(Budget FIFTEEN GRAND+ for the privilege of correctness!!!) I`m sure there are very many owners of vehicles that could not afford similar 'requirements' and would lose the use of a perfectly good car!
Can`t these bureaucrats get off or case & concentrate on more important issues, like roundness and greenness of apples?!
The way I've been led to believe it and this comes from a very reliable source, is that the proposals are "allegedly" being put forward, that for a car to be classed as historic it should have zero modifications from how it left the factory and should be preserved as such ie no after market parts fitted to it. Whether or not this will actually come about, one can only surmise. The problem could then be that if that car no longer fits the historic criteria, there is no other taxation classification for it to fall into. It's a real minefield and as I was made aware of this possible scenario, along with others, a year or so ago. Based on what I was told by that reliable source, I took the decision to sell my 1969 Camaro which was historically registered to avoid any possible problems such as we're now facing.

cheers...Nige
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi Andrew,

To pick up on just one of the points you raised. The situation regarding period style number plates has actually improved rather than got worse. It used to be a fixed date, after which cars must display yellow rear and white front number plates. I think the date was around 1971, give or take. However, the date now coincides with the moving Historic status date. Therefore, anything with Historic status can now display the old style number plates.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

...which is actually daft! No car after Jan '73 ever wore black and white plates, and would look plain wrong with them now. If they're going to interfere, why can't they do something useful?
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Paul Blore wrote:The situation regarding period style number plates has actually improved rather than got worse. It used to be a fixed date, after which cars must display yellow rear and white front number plates. I think the date was around 1971, give or take. However, the date now coincides with the moving Historic status date. Therefore, anything with Historic status can now display the old style number plates.
Hi Paul -
I just mentioned the registration plate change thing more as an example of how we could be more in the loop than we currently are, really. (But on this point, this recent discussion concluded that most kit cars would get age-related plates, but they would not get historic taxation status unless they were very lucky)

What do you think about polling the membership to see if anyone wants to be the Register's point-man for these kinds of issues?

Cheers,

Andrew
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Roger King wrote:...which is actually daft! No car after Jan '73 ever wore black and white plates, and would look plain wrong with them now. If they're going to interfere, why can't they do something useful?
Agreed, I want to get some period style yellow and white plates for the Dino to replace the modern acrylic plates currently fitted.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Paul, straight-from-the-dealer it would have had these:

http://www.framptonsplates.com/RaisedRivetedBlack.html

like Framptons plates a lot. I used to use Tippers, when it was run by the old man and all ordering was by post and cheque, but they sold out a few years back and the quality is not as good IMO. Framptons made the plates for 7 CSX, which are aluminium half-round section fastened to aluminium black field. Excellent quality.

Roger

Great, 'comfort discussion' time again (sound of grown* man sucking thumb whilst holding blanket)

*well, 5' 8"
Last edited by Roger King on Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

I cannot see thousands of cars being sidelined because of a u turn on Historic status. When a car reaches an age to qualify it moves from PLG to Historic.
If this status is rescinded then the car would surely be put back to PLG and road tax paid.
We should be like the French and burn some classics outside Parliament, Roger can go first :?:
Early B.R.A. Warmed 3.9 Rover, 5 sp, 3.07 rear, Fully adjustable front suspension with AVO coilovers, 4 link rear suspension AVO coilovers and Panhard bar, Big 2 pot front calipers, rear discs, servo'd, adjustable front / rear bias, scruffy paint job !
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

'Researched' from the DVLA website (https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-exempt-from-vehicle-tax) :

Historic vehicles
You don’t have to pay vehicle tax on vehicles made before 1 January 1975 (known as ‘historic vehicles’).

I assume this means any vehicle made before this date is therefore 'Historic'??

James
Finally sorted Dax 'AC 289' after 4 years in the wilderness.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Fireball wrote:'Researched' from the DVLA website (https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-exempt-from-vehicle-tax) :

Historic vehicles
You don’t have to pay vehicle tax on vehicles made before 1 January 1975 (known as ‘historic vehicles’).

I assume this means any vehicle made before this date is therefore 'Historic'??
I guess we need to make a distinction between classic cars and kit cars made from parts from a donor vehicle. I think the following would be the case, but am happy to be corrected:

1. A classic car older than 1/1/75: would be 'historic' class because it will have a 'first registered' date or a 'manufactured date' on the V5 prior to 1/1/75.

2. A component/kit car made from a donor car older than 1/1/75: will probably get an age-related plate, but won't be in the 'historic' taxation class because its date of first registration wouldn't be that of the donor car. It would be the date that the car was registered as it is now - i.e. a Hawk or whatever. I think this is what the government classify as a 'kit-converted vehicle': https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... d-vehicles. (It is not what they call a 'kit-built' vehicle where all parts are brand new.)

I believe for 2 above, if the kit car were to remain (for example) an MGB on the paperwork, this would be illegal. And for the kit car to get into 'historic' taxation class, it would be (probably) an error on the part of the DVLA.

I think since the club ethos is generally that of building replica vehicles, age-relatedness is quite key for us. We don't fall into the category of 'classic car' owners, nor do we fall into the 'kit-car' category exactly either.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Have to absolutely agree to what you write, Alan. My car was for six years registered in the UK (on age related plates, but build date 2009) and the law was always understood like you point it out. Now, when you say you go automatic to the histoic status and paying zero tax, that might be a special thing for the UK only. Here, before getting historic status, you must have a examination by the TUEV and only if this is positive you get historic status. ( H registration and a fixed sum for yearly tax, (193 € per year) This will come to you also, if you don`t leave the EU.