Other topics
tom750

Post by tom750 »

I’m a first time poster I enjoy this site because it’s about 289’s that’s actually my favorite one I have built 427‘s and 289‘s been involved with cobra since 1980 started a company called hi-Tech in Arizona Sold that company early 90s was hired by Shelby in 94 and then retired in 2010 or 12 can’t remember
Really enjoy the site because things are different but the same and I get a kick out trying to figure out what you’re talking about but slowly learning the terminology. currently living south west of Las Vegas in the desert and loving it still messing with Cobra’s and Cobra parts.
Tom
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: new member

Post by peterc »

Hi Tom, welcome to the forum.
With your years of experience with Cobras I would have thought that you would be teaching us?
I suppose there is a bit of difference in terminology this side of the pond.
Anti roll bars not sway bars, bonnet not hood etc etc.
Hopefully you can stay safe out there in the desert during these difficult times.
Peter C
tom750

Post by tom750 »

Hi Peter
thank you for the welcome it doesn’t matter how long you’ve been doing something there’s always something to learn from someone else.
I have already picked up items why didn’t I do it that way from just reading the form I’m amazed at the space that some of you guys have to work on stuff I don’t know how you do It but you have no choice.
It was especially interesting reading your IVA regulations you really have some interesting rules to make a car legal for road use.
One in particular if I’m reading it correctly you have to put rubber strips on your grill so nobody gets cuts when you’re running them over
Tom
PS
Didn’t mean to post my introduction twice I had to stop to chase one of my wife’s chickens I got loose and didn’t realize I already sent it the first time
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Yes, the IVA throws up quite a few silly rules.
One of them is the washer jets must be small and have minimum 5mm radius. ( nearly 1/4” )
This ignores the fact that a couple of inches away is something far larger. It’s the windscreen wiper arm spindle and of course the arm as well.
If a pedestrian is going to get into that position on your bonnet ( hood) then the size of the washer jet will be the least of their problems.
Of course modern cars that have been designed within the last few years have their wiper mechanism tucked down behind the end of the bonnet.
Peter C