Another Retrograde step

Other topics
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Another Retrograde step

Post by peterc »

Whilst investigating a miss-fire recently ( located to a poorly fitted No 3 HT lead in the dizzy cap) I was told that spark plugs no longer have their ceramic tip coated. This is OK in modern lean burn engines but not for our conventional technology engines. The lack of a coating ultimately allows them to absorb fuel which in turn will allow them to miss fire as the spark will not be concentrated at the tip as needed.
So those 15,000 + miles between plug changes may soon become a long forgotten luxury.
I have no idea if this is fact but it came from a respected source so you have been warned.
Peter C
Last edited by peterc on Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Another Retrograde step

Post by StewbieC »

I change my plugs when I change the oil. They're not that expensive and it takes all of 10 minutes. I normally keep a set of eight on the shelf too.
I do need to go to the tip and get rid of some batteries, I've had the Quad, Fergie and Landy all go within a few months. They are all sealed units so the distilled water can't be topped up. At least you get the click, click, click, click warning when they are stuffed (got two Cteks and even with a couple of desulfication runs they are still no good).
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

You must do far more miles per year than me. it wouldn’t be worthwhile changing the plugs at each oil change on my low mileage with the Cobra.

Following advice from the supplier of my first battery, I leave my Optimate battery conditioner permanently connected. It ensures that the battery is kept in top condition and not drained by the car alarm and clock.
That first battery lasted 15 years and others I have spoken to all expect a lifetime of over 10 years.
Having said that it’s replacement only lasted 5 years despite the same treatment. Advice suggests that 5 years is the norm for a car battery.
Peter C
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Can’t you ‘weigh in’ your batteries, Stu? I got £11 each for the last couple I took!
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

That would explain why they were more than happy to dispose of my old battery.
Peter C
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Thanks Kev, I'll give it a go.