Tour Auto 2014. Kevin, Shaun & Cobra ride again!

Club events that are going on around the world
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Tour Auto 2014. Kevin, Shaun & Cobra ride again!

Post by nikbj68 »

Hi everybody,

Late update today with my impending nuptials tomorrow. Not sure I will be able to give you a full update tomorrow so will point you in the direction of the Tour Auto website – trust me, it will be worth your time looking up the results as it’s turning out to be very close and we are down to just one more day now.

I’ve attached a photo from Thursday as the guys approached Aix-les Bains (by the lake).

Shaun also managed to brake a clutch pedal yesterday with all those heavy gear changes but it was all fixed up by the side of the road.

Today included the usual three stages – although all three were road stages and there was no circuit racing today.

Summary of the performances today are as follows:

Stage 9
Yet again Ludovic Caron took the spoils in his AC Cobra with Lajournade coming in 7 seconds down in his E Type (behind another E Type in 2nd place). Shaun and Kevin finished the stage in 5th losing another 17 seconds to Caron. Tim Summers’ Cobra ended the stage in 10th spot (+28s). Sadly Mark Freeman’s Cobra didn’t place a time so it looks like they have now formally withdrawn from the race after problems earlier in the week.

Stage 10
I hope you are all sitting down and prepared for some bad news on Stage 10. Unfortunately it looks like our favourite Cobra crashed out on the stage and dropped 3mins 43 secs to the winning car. I know you will all be disappointed to see Ludovic Caron finishing this stage in 70th place but I’m sure you will find the strength to wipe away the tears when I tell you that the stage was won by Kevin and Shaun. However, they only picked up a few seconds on Lajournade back in 5th. Tim Summers finished the stage in a very worthy 3rd place just a couple of seconds behind Shaun and Kevin.

A disastrous stage for Caron dropped him down to 8th place (+2m59s) and effectively out of the running, barring disasters for a number of other cars. After Stage 10 Lajournade in the E Type took over the overall lead with just 13 seconds over Shaun and Kevin. Tim Summers’ Cobra was placed 6th overall (+2m11s).

Stage 11
In the final stage of the day our old friend Ludovic Caron was back in form at the wheel putting in a great effort to win the stage. Tim Summers finished in 4th (+8s) and Shaun in 5th (+10s). Lajournade’s E Type was a little behind – crossing the line 14 seconds behind Caron on the stage.

However, here is the bombshell you have been waiting for. As you know from previous experience, the Tour Auto can turn up some big surprises just when you least expect it. Although penalties are usually not published until the following day, it seems that our friendly E Type driver must have picked up a pile of penalties today as he has dropped down to 2nd place and he is now 51 seconds behind the leader. And the leading car is.... Shaun and Kevin in the AC Cobra.

That means they have a 51 second lead over Lajournade and a 2m36s lead over Ludovic Caron. Tim Summers’ Cobra is in a very strong 6th place at the moment but as he is only 4 seconds behind the Merlin Cobra he could climb up to 5th if all goes well.

So with one day to go here are some stats from Kevin for you when comparing the Cobra’s expected performance versus the 2nd placed E Type:

“Tomorrow we have one Special stage and one race track (Paul Ricard). Shaun, in theory should be quicker at PR by approx 20 seconds. Today we had three special stages (tomorrow we have only one) Today's stages:
1) E Type beat us by 10 sec
2) We beat E Type by 4 sec
3) We beat E Type by 3 sec”

Any predictions on the final result?

For the Saturday results please follow the link to the Tour Auto website:
http://peterauto.peter.fr/en/evenement/ ... Optic+2ooo

Hit the button for “Results” then follow the VHC column all the way to the bottom (it’s the first column of results).

To see the results AFTER the end of Day 5 – select “Classement fin Etape 5”
There will be a PDF on there for any penalties on Day 5 too but these are usually far behind.
By the time the penalties get formally published online I would expect to see photos on the website of the winners popping the champagne corks. But who will it be.....?
Last edited by nikbj68 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

From Kevin Kivlochan:
"On day one we were lying third;
We got an email from Viscount Ludovic Lindsey that said: "Third is not first old boy!"

Here we are with five time Le Mans winner Emanuele Pirro Congratulating us on being three time Tour Auto winners!
Just sent an email to The Viscount saying:
"First is not third ....old man!"

nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Final Results:

1 213 LYNN Shaun/KIVLOCHAN Kevin GBR/GBR AC Cobra
2 207 LAJOURNADE Jean Pierre/BOUCHET Christophe FRA/FRA Jaguar E-Type + 0m33s
3 215 PAYEN Hugo/COUEDEL Tristan FRA/FRA Jaguar E-Type + 1m00s
4 208 MERLIN Jean-Marc/ROCHE Emmanuel FRA/FRA AC Cobra + 1m21s
5 220 SUMMERS Tim/DONALDSON Mark GBR/GBR AC Cobra + 1m44s
6 217 LHERITIER Fabrice/SLIZ Karine FRA/FRA Jaguar E-Type + 2m02s
7 206 CARON Ludovic/DE VILLAUCOURT Carles FRA/FRA AC Cobra + 2m15s
8 209 WILSON Chris/WILLIAMS Nigel GBR/GBR Ford GT 40 + 3m08s
9 253 DEMOLE Claude/COLLOMBIN Eric CHE/CHE AC Cobra + 4m35s
10 211 BUSSOLINI Jean-Marc/BUSSOLINI Patricia FRA/FRA Porsche 904
47 210 GUENAT Dominique/FRAGNIERE Edouard CHE/CHE AC Cobra
63 214 BEVERLEY Andrew/EDWARDES Tom GBR/GBR AC Cobra
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

The moment that it all went wrong for Ludovic Caron, and many others, is here on on Youtube,

And as ever, there is an excellent TOUR AUTO report & huge 300-shot gallery on ULTIMATECARPAGE.
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Fantastic Kevin and Shaun!!! Brilliant result. While Monsieur Caron was charm personified when he spent time on the club stand at last year's Silverstone Classic, can't say I'm sorry to see he got his come-uppance on his home turf.

Heroes, the two of you.

Full marks to you too Mr Bagshaw, staying up to keep us posted :D
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Cheers!
My thanks also to Russell Brown from Kevin`s company for his updates, which he managed to find time for despite getting married on Saturday, but a win was quite a wedding gift, eh?
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Fantastic stuff, Nick, thanks for the posting. Particularly enjoyed the clip of people hooning around tight corners with partial success! The tulip book looks so familiar - I've been staring at those things for 25 years now.
Two things come to mind - looking at the starters' list, that's one helluva lot of AC Cobras. Kirkham syndrome, methinks, but then what room do I have to talk?
Secondly, these folk clearly have substantially deeper pockets than I ever will!

Congrats to the chaps,
Roger
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

I must ask Kevin how it felt to see his old Cobra going around, (as seen in that video of that corner) but I don`t think I could manage 5 days and 1200 miles in the passenger seat of a Cobra staring at the notes in my lap!
Heroes... The bloody lot of them! 8)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

nikbj68 wrote:I must ask Kevin how it felt to see his old Cobra going around, (as seen in that video of that corner) but I don`t think I could manage 5 days and 1200 miles in the passenger seat of a Cobra staring at the notes in my lap!
Heroes... The bloody lot of them! 8)
Our average trips are 10 days and 3000 miles, with a tulip book in my wife's lap - however, the road speed is significantly less, as are the noise levels, so we are usually still speaking at the end of the day!*
The tulip book for Prague and back was pretty thick...

*stress, 'usually'
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Another report on the Tour Auto, this time from SPORTSCAR DIGEST, with some truly spectacular views captured in excellent photographs. 8)