Bruntingthorpe Charity Track Day

Club events that are going on around the world
David Large

Re: Bruntingthorpe Charity Track Day

Post by David Large »

Phil,

I have the same problem. I have been insured with Adrian Flux for a long time. In the past they have covered me on track days for at worst an admin fee. Their attitude to this event at Bruntingthorpe is that they will cover my car for an additional £140 but they will not give me cover (at any price) if I am sued for personal injuries by any third party, including passengers.

I accused them of not being helpful, but I guess when you look at the risk maybe it is possible to see their point of view.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I've already spoken to Heritage and they confirmed I would be covered. :?

Paul
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

I'm covered with Adrian Flux too and have just called them to gain some confirmation regarding coverage.

Their intial response was that they can't or won't cover me for any form of track days, based on the policy that I have.

I've asked to speak to a manager and they've committed to call me back on Monday, so I'll update you all then.

Most frustrating.

Lee
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
David Large

Post by David Large »

Adrian Flux turned me down too!

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

I spoke to a Carole Nash rep at Silverstone, and he said they would 'probably' be able to arrange cover, but it would be part of a policy, not a stand-alone thing, so would involve transferring cover.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
289 Baz

Post by 289 Baz »

Paul, after our chat at Silverstone, put me down for a place. Colin also said that he asked you if you had floor space for me over night, if that's ok thats very generous of you and thank you. 8)

Barry
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

No problem Barry and you're very welcome.

Thank you,
Paul
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I have communicated with the organisers today and they have confirmed that all third party risks are covered by ASDA's own insurance. Therefore, you only need to cover your own car, or simply take the view that you'll take that risk yourself as many of you did for the Le Mans track laps.

Paul
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Well, where to start.

The BBQ last night went REALLY well in spite getting off to a pretty disastrous start (I'll let Colin explain that point).
The rain arrived just as I lit the barbecue, but I was well prepared and I'd already turned the garage into a T289R clubhouse, which worked brilliantly.
Colin had brought a bottle of buffalo grass vodka, which went down a treat ( I must get some more of that :D ) and in spite of cooking a mountain of food, the vast majority of it disappeared.

David Hill didn't make it to the BBQ as he had to work late, but assured me he would be at my house by 7:30 the following morning.

Today started early with countless bacon and tomato rolls and plenty of good coffee, but a text from David to say that his car was completely dead. However, a jump start and a new battery got him on his way and he and his passenger Andy met up with us at Bruntingthorpe later in the morning.

The driver's briefing was at 8:30 after which we got our cars into our "gate" ready to start only to find that another group of cars had already claimed the spot. Their self-proclaimed leader was an obnoxious individual who claimed it was his space "because he was there every year and everyone wanted a ride in his GT40" in spite of him not having arranged anything with the event organisers. It almost came to blows, but as I had all the track passes, he needed me to allocate them to him before he could go out on track. A good helping of humble pie on his part helped secure a settlement and passes were handed out. He then donned a full set of racing overalls and helmet in spite of all his passenger only having the clothes they arrived in. He spent the rest of the day telling everyone who would listen as well as those who didn't want to know and couldn't get away that he was a "semi-professional racing driver" and that he would be "much faster than everyone else".

As James May would have put it, he was a bit if a Cock. :mrgreen:

The queue of people wanting rides in our cars developed immediately and remained the longest queue throughout the day. My thanks go to my daughter Charlee and her boyfriend Paul for signing people up, taking their money and directing them to the cars. It ran like a well oiled machine. 8)

We had a constant stream of people telling us that the Cobra was their dream car and the one they'd particularly come to have a ride in.

By the lunchtime break, we were all pretty well knackered and we'd given around 400 rides at £5 a go just on our gate. :mrgreen:

During the lunch break we gave "dream rides" to a groups of kids from a number of local hospices, many of whom, we learned "wouldn't be here for next year", which was extremely sad, but heart warming that we were able to give them a brief moment of joy in their too short lives. The expressions on their faces alone made it all worthwhile to us.

To those who intended to come but couldn't for one reason or another, you missed a really great day and I hope you will be able to make it next year, because everyone who did said they will definitely be there again.

It is the easiest thing in the world to find umpteen reasons not to do something, but those kids are the only overriding reason you need to do this event.

And the "professional racing driver" wasn't that fast after all. :wink: At least he discarded the crash helmet later in the morning, although he only made it halfway through the morning because his car was "getting hot". Probably due to the extreme speeds he was achieving. :lol: :lol:

A heart felt thank you to everyone that came and helped and as soon as I get official confirmation of how much we raised, I'll let you know.

My final thanks go to Selina, my wife, for all her work and for being a great hostess at the BBQ. :D

Paul