Tuscany Road Trip

Club events that are going on around the world
Paul Blore

Tuscany Road Trip

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi,

I'm in the early stages of putting together a Road Trip to Tuscany for next September. I'm planning on getting around 12 cars with two occupants together and I have a couple of places left.
The outline plan so far is to cross the channel (crossing yet to be decided) early on Friday 25th September and then drive to Holland to catch the MotoRail down to Livorno on the Italian coast. We will each have a private sleeper cabin and a 3-course evening meal, with breakfast in the morning before we arrive. After disembarking, we will drive to a lovely hotel in the heart of Tuscany, which will be our base for the next 7 nights. From there we are in easy reach of places like Florence, Sienna and Pisa to name a few, plus the stunning scenery and roads of the region. We will then take a few days to drive back via the Italian Lakes (maybe Modena/Ferrari/Lamborghini), one or two choice mountain passes and Switzerland.
If anyone is interested, let me know, but don't hang about because the initial places were snapped up and the remaining places are limited due to hotel and MotoRail availability.

Regards,
Paul
Paul Blore

Re: Tuscany Road Trip

Post by Paul Blore »

I can't believe that no one is interested in taking their Cobras to Italy for a holiday next year. :?

Paul
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Paul,
that sounds like a great trip - parts of which I did in the DBR1 and Eagle E-type a couple of years back when I kept bumping into Colin. Not literally you understand :shock: Assume you'll do the Raticosa while the full old style Mugello road course is also worth checking out for something less crowded. A friend is shipping his Bentley special to the USA next year for a couple of months around that time and with any luck Snr Mgt will give me time off for good behaviour to join him for a while. I'm sure you'll get fully booked and thanks for the opportunity.

Cheers

Robin
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi,

If there's anyone out there interested who isn't yet coming along, the itinerary is as follows:

Thursday 24th Sept.:
Take overnight ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland. Departs at 23:00.

Friday 25th Sept.:
Arrive Hook of Holland at 08:00.
Drive to Den Bosch – approx.. 1½ hours/70 miles
Load cars onto train – loading time: 10:30 – 13:15
Depart Den Bosch at 14:12
Evening 3-course dinner at 20:30

Saturday 26th Sept.
Arrive at Livorno at 11:30
Drive to Hotel Borgo di Cortefreda in Tavarnelle – approx.. 1¼ hours/60 miles
Stay for 7 nights

Saturday 3rd Oct.
Drive to Du Lac et Du Parc Grand Resort on Lake Garda – via the Passo della Futa and Passo della Raticosa – approx. 4-5 hours/220 miles
Possible stop en route
Stay for 2 nights

Monday 5th Oct.
Drive to Edelweiss Hotel in Davos, Switzerland, via the Stelvio, Umbrail and Fluela passes – approx. 4-5 hours/170 miles
Stay for 1 night

Tuesday 6th Oct.
Drive to Hotel Du Parc in Mulhouse – approx. 3-4 hours/170 miles
Visit Bugatti museum
Stay for 1 night

Wednesday 7th Oct.
Drive to Reims – approx. 4-5 hours/240 miles
Visit Grand Prix pits and grandstands
Stay for 1 night

Thursday 8th Oct.
Drive to Calais – approx. 3 hours/160 miles
Cross the channel via Le Shuttle
Drive home
Relax  :D
David Large

Post by David Large »

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant, I can't wait for September to come around.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I had a look at some Youtube videos of the Stelvio Pass yesterday and one of them was filmed in September and there was snow everywhere. :shock:

The roads had been cleared, but there was deep white stuff everywhere else, so don't forget to pack your thermals. The view was absolutely stunning though. 8)

On the flip side, I've watched plenty of other videos in September and October and the skies have been clear blue. 8)

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

PaulB wrote:I had a look at some Youtube videos of the Stelvio Pass yesterday and one of them was filmed in September and there was snow everywhere. :shock:

The roads had been cleared, but there was deep white stuff everywhere else, so don't forget to pack your thermals. The view was absolutely stunning though. 8)

On the flip side, I've watched plenty of other videos in September and October and the skies have been clear blue. 8)

Paul
It does get cold at the top (it's very high!), but I've been over it 3 times, always in Sept, and never yet encountered snow or ice on the road surface.
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Paul, do you have a rough idea as to the cost of this?
I may be interested if there is another member out there that wants to share a car/costs.
Any takers ?????
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi Bill,

I have an exact cost. :)

However, for budgetary purposes, you're looking at between £1,800 and £2,100 per car/team depending on rooms selected. That includes outward ferry from Harwich with an upgraded cabin, MotoRail to Livorno with "deluxe" cabin and 3-course evening meal and breakfast, all hotel accommodation with breakfasts and return crossing on the Eurotunnel. You'll obviously need to add fuel, other meals and spending money. ;)

I'll be planning a few excursions while we're there, including a vineyard tour & wine tasting.

I should add that I'm not making a penny out of this. I'm negotiating the best rates I can and then simply passing those on. :)

Paul