Tuscany Road Trip

Club events that are going on around the world
Colin Newbold

Re: Tuscany Road Trip

Post by Colin Newbold »

Saturday: Tuscany Hotel: 16:30

As Paul wrote, trip down was dry and mainly sunny. It was a real treat seeing Karl and Ingeborn half-way through Germany and many thanks to them for preparing us coffee and snack lunch:). Our German hotel that first night was fab and we were treated royally by the owner and staff. No doubt that our three cars are wowing the crowds!

Set off Friday in bright sunshine which just got better and better all the way south. Switzerland was mesmerising and the St Gotthard pass exhilarating. Arrived in fierce sunshine at hotel (40 miles south of Florence) to welcome reception committee (mainly other guests, many from the US here for a wedding)! After a cordon blue dining and wining experience we retired happy but knackered.

A lazy day today, cleaning all the flies and limestone (Swiss mountain rocks) off the cars and chilling round the pool with beer, toasted ham & cheese and pizza. Baz and I dived into the pool, colder than the lake at St Gottard I wouldn't wonder. Grrr.

Catching up with the brotherhood on this posting and then off to the airport with Paul to collect the steering committee. Rest of the crew arrive between now and dusk. Will keep you posted (someone I'm sure will add pictures).

Lovin it so far :D

Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
DavidP
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidP »

Looking forward to seeing some photos............ :D
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

The rest of our party arrived safe and sound and without incident en route yesterday afternoon, so we're now all here. :)

Paul
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Fabulous! Maybe you will meet up with these Ferraris on their Tuscany Tour at some point!
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Update: We had 7 days in Tuscany and visited such places as Sienna (that was fun!), San Gimignano, which was beautiful and Florence, which was disappointing. Yesterday we drove to Lake Garda and our hotel, both of which are absolutely fantastic. For some reason, I was upgraded to a penthouse suite with stunning views of the surrounding mountains and hot tub on the extensive roof terrace. :mrgreen:
Tomorrow, we depart for the big driving day that takes in the Stelvio, Umbrail and Fluela passes en route to Davis in Switzerland.

Paul
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Glad you guys are enjoying it. Were the Anthony Gormley statues still at San Gim? You drove to Florence!!! Flippin Nora - where did you park? Much like Cambridge in the summer I guess you were mown down every couple of minutes by hordes of selfie stick wielding Japanese tourists. :lol:

Robin
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

MUCH easier to park in Florence (or on the moon, for that matter) than Cambridge. But we didn't, we used the bus - very scenic and an hour's ride for €3.30.
Stelvio, Umbrail and Fluela passes today: glorious sunshine, no traffic and no problems. More snow than I've seen before on the top!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Just got home and I'm knackered. :)
Drove from Reims this morning, via the old Reims GP circuit grandstands and pits.
The whole trip has been really good, with excellent hotels, beautiful roads, great food and drink, but above all, brilliant company. Thank you to everyone for making it such a pleasure.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

We got in around 5.30, also tired from the drive from Reims and the delight of driving on British roads again. Or not. It's always an anti-climax to be back on the wrong side of the road and overcrowded for roadspace.
This was a truly great road trip, with a great bunch of people and a lot of variety (let's not mention the entertainment in the bar of the Hotel du Parc in Mulhouse the night before last - it was truly surreal).
Huge thanks to Paul and Selina for organising all this. It was a real triumph for them, and a testament to our cars and those who built, restored, tend to and maintain them. As of this morning, unless anything untoward happened en route, all cars made it out and back which is no mean feat, and by and large behaved better than their owners. And David Large still managed to use Motorail!

Roger
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Where do we go next time? 8)

Paul