First Race Of The Season

Club events that are going on around the world
Colin Newbold

First Race Of The Season

Post by Colin Newbold »

Much as I would have loved to have taken the Cob to Goodwood for last Sunday's Breakfast Club, the draw of my first race this year was just too great!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ai6rykuw03qbw ... 2.jpg?dl=0

Having had a new cylinder head prepared by the same guy that rebuilt the bottom half of the engine last year, I am delighted to report we achieved 165.5 bhp (recorded on Peter Knight's dyno). Not bad for 50 years old and 1840cc! The car was transformed! Luckily, the driver was up for the job too!

There were 34 cars on the grid at Brands Hatch Indy circuit and 17 of those were MGBs. I'm delighted to report that I qualified 15th and finished 11th on Sat, and 11th again on Sunday. When I tell you that I was the 4th MGB home on both days, behind Tom Smith and Rob Spencer (2 internationally acclaimed drivers), I haven't stopped grinning since.

My thanks go out to the engine builder, Paul Adams, the race prep boys at AJ Barnard Engineering, my trusted friend and Man Friday Barry Jones and to my sponsor Rob (yes...can you Adam & Eve it, I now have a sponsor!).

Things are looking good folks... :lol:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/md4ujn7op0pbb ... 4.jpg?dl=0
Last edited by Colin Newbold on Tue May 03, 2016 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Colin Newbold

Re: First Race Of The Season

Post by Colin Newbold »

Oh yeah! Also it was the first outing with our new motorhome...very comfy :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9nyfrjrib6g2 ... 9.jpg?dl=0

Having put all the race gear away, Nicky and I hopped on an Easyjet flight to Nice first thing yesterday and we're now chillin' for 12 days on the Riviera! We'll end up taking in practice for the Historic Monaco Grand Prix on Friday week...if anyone else is going please reach out and let me know?

Alright for some, eh :roll:
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Well done Colin, sounds good. :mrgreen:

You should buy a new car for Barry for all of his committed hard work. His old Corsa is making your outfit look untidy. :wink:

Paul
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

One of my good friends and fellow racers in the Equipe GTS series has posted this video on YouTube. It makes for good watching!

I'm just ahead of him on the grid in the maroon/cream MGB roadster No 59, HUH 587D. He gets past me at one stage and then I get him back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX6XdiRpoxU

Enjoy!

Colin
David Large

Post by David Large »

Very good quality filming, what cameras does he use?

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Pretty sure they're Go-Pro's David.
David Large

Post by David Large »

Interesting. I have a GoPro but I don't get quality like that....although of course my camera is in the fresh air; not in a cabin with the stereo gently playing and a freshly ground coffee wafting from the cup holder while you "jolly" round Brands.

The racing looked exciting although your mate appeared to be getting overtaken by everybody briefly - he didn't like it when the TR cut him up!

regards,

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Initially it looked like he had a lot more than your 165bhp judging by the ability to pull away from you but perhaps the engine went of song as you and several others seemed to then have the ability to pull away from him.
Any ways well done. Good result and hopefully made the outlay of numerous folding stuff all worthwhile.
A few more sponsors and you can upgrade to a Winnebago with the extending sides!
Peter C