SPA summer classic 2016

Club events that are going on around the world
Karl

SPA summer classic 2016

Post by Karl »

Our well known club member Colin Newbold, co-driven by Wil Arif, finished fastest MG B home yesterday. Three hours race, Position 26 out of 66 starters. Absolutly no problems with the car, again congratulations and well done to the team involved!
Paul Blore

Re: SPA summer classic 2016

Post by Paul Blore »

Well done Colin, a good result for your first 3 hour race. :)

Paul
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Thank you Karl for your support at the circuit, and to Migge too! It was truly a great result for us...felt like an outright win! We qualified 54th, so made great progress during the race. To keep 13 other MGBs behind us, not to mention countless other bigger-engined cars, was real satisfaction.

Spa is as fantastic to drive as they say it is, taking Eau Rouge flat and then shooting up the hill beyond is akin to a big dipper at an amusement park! There's no other circuit quite like it. Pleased to say the weather was kind to us until the last two laps when the rain came back, but as Karl writes, the car went fantastic and we finished with no damage to bodywork or mechanicals. My heartfelt thanks go to AJ Barnard Engineering who really know what they're doing with MGBs, plus my own crew:
Co-Driver - Wil Arif (he set our fastest lap at 3:14:129, also the fastest lap by any MGB...I couldn't get below 3:19!)
Chief Technical Officer - Barry Jones
Chief Logistics Officer - Ana Arif
Chief Catering Officer - Nicky
Chief Harness Doer-Upper - Migge!

There'll be pictures soon I'm sure.
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
PeterT

Post by PeterT »

Many congratulations from another MG owner Colin. I am still awaiting the C engine rebuild of the rebuild by the Chathams. Apparently when it went back to them, having blown the head and exhaust off on the rolling road, they have fitted a new head gasket and special studs and traced the exhaust problem to the piping itself. It is now having a redesigned stainless steel exhaust fitted. They did say that with their bodged up exhaust fitted they took it out on a run and it seemed to go as fast as their fastest Healeys. I will believe that when I eventually get it back and drive it.
In the meantime are you or anyone else coming to the Shelsley Classic weekend on the 16th/17th July ?
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Hi Peter, I do hope they get you properly sorted this time...its a frustration I have known in the past only too well. Re July 16/17, I have to admit to spending quality time with the Steering Committee...it is a car-free zone that weekend :roll:
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Just heard from Wil that we were 8th overall in the under 2000cc Class. This included Lotus Elans, Lotus Cortinas, BMW 1600ti's, Porsche 911s etc...and there were 65 in our Class!!! All hail the Team!
Phil Riley

Post by Phil Riley »

Fabulous – Well done!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Excellent result Colin. Spa favours the brave. :wink: :twisted:

Paul