Shelby American Car Show Sept 15

Club events that are going on around the world
289Glenn
T289R Member
T289R Member

Shelby American Car Show Sept 15

Post by 289Glenn »

A tremendous event was held this past Saturday in Anaheim, California at the Shelby American headquarters. This car show was organized by the Los Angeles Shelby Club. I attended and towed my Hawk 289 over 400 miles each way. My wife Darlene came along and she had a terrific time. Hundreds of Shelby cars were in attendance. I even met 289register members; John Saia and Allen Grant! Two wonderful guys if you have never met them. There were presentations by some of the original Shelby employees and the workshop of the new "continuation" Shelby GT350 was open for visitors. The "Original Venice Crew" shop is producing 36 "1965" GT350R Mustangs. And they have added many new improvements that they say should have been there in the first place.
Hank Williams was there with his 1963 289 Cobra. He is said to be the only original 289 Cobra owner. He has had it since new. Super nice man who would tell you anything you would like to know about the car. Wonderful patina and history. An original 1962 AC Bristol was there as well. This car was said to be "lost" by the AC register. The new owner had a very thick binder with many, many receipts from the car. I think she even had the receipt for the original air in the tires. It is chassis number BEX1213 with an engine number 1148D2. It sure looked authentic to me.
There were various classes in the car show and awards were given for 1st and 2nd place. My Hawk 289 came in 2nd in the replica class. We lost to a magnificent Kirkham/Wagner street 289. It was one of the most amazing replicas I have seen. I even voted for it. I will be posting some photos shortly. And, I will write a short report with photos for the newsletter. It was great meeting John and Allen. Great stories were told. I hope we made Gerry and Rhona proud.
Attachments
AC Engine.JPG
BEX1213.JPG
Kirkham engine.JPG
Kirkham.JPG
Allen and Glenn.jpg