Spigot bush fitting

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
allan horsfall

Spigot bush fitting

Post by allan horsfall »

Gentlemen

As mentioned in a previous post I'm about to change my gearbox and it requires a new spigot bush, Im interested in your views regarding fitment. Some 'experts' talk about soaking it in oil before fitting, some prefer a smear of grease, some say leave it alone as bronze is self lubricating. Ive previously followed the later course, any opinions?

Allan
allan horsfall

Re: Spigot bush fitting

Post by allan horsfall »

I guess your average spigot bush just isnt sexy enough for this forum?
tasmin289

Post by tasmin289 »

Hi Allan; Ive worked in the motor trade for 40 years now, and certainly in the earlier years, bronze spigot bushes were supplied dripping in oil. Later on they arrived dry, (must have been more cost efficient for the supplier!!) and we used to add a couple of drops of light oil to the spigot shaft. If you choose grease, dont use copper grease, its abrasive.

Paul.S
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Thanks Paul!

Allan
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

tasmin289 wrote: If you choose grease, don't use copper grease, its abrasive.

Paul.S
Well, well, well... You learn something new every day!
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

clive wrote:
tasmin289 wrote: If you choose grease, don't use copper grease, its abrasive.

Paul.S
Well, well, well... You learn something new every day!
Quite right Paul - copper 'grease' isn't grease, it's an anti-seize compound. It contains 'bits' which you can feel if you rub some between your fingers (I know, you're not supposed to touch it) to help it work. It should never be used as a lubricant!
Old-school instructions for installing sintered bronze bushes were to soak in engine oil, IIRC. I don't think it makes a huge amount of difference to be honest. I prefer them to the later bearing type, though - I've seen one of these that failed, and it didn't do the gearbox a whole lot of good...
tasmin289

Post by tasmin289 »

Hi Roger; yes the modern roller bearing type bushes are definitely inferior. They're difficult to install without damaging them due to the thin tin outer race. you have to lubricate with grease and that tends to attract all the metal particles thrown off the friction plate and pressure plate. At best they then make rude noises, and it sounds like you've already experienced the worst possible scenario!!

Paul.S
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

I had to make suspension bushes from oilite for the Greyhound. Click pic for link to site.

Bronze(phosphor bronze) isn`t self-lubricating(probably why it came dripping in oil), but Oilite is, being oil-impregnated.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

nikbj68 wrote:Bronze(phosphor bronze) isn`t self-lubricating(probably why it came dripping in oil), but Oilite is, being oil-impregnated.
Indeed. Hence the use of sintered bronze, which holds the lubricant in the porosity of the metal. This is, as you say, Oilite! Olé!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

nikbj68 wrote:I had to make suspension bushes from oilite for the Greyhound. Click pic for link to site.

Wow. Eat your heart out, polybushes. Nik likes it firm.