Avon CR6ZZ tyres

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
agnoraan

Avon CR6ZZ tyres

Post by agnoraan »

Has anyone worn out a set of Avon CR6ZZ tyres yet & if so what sort of mileage did you get out of them before they were scrap? Any idea how badly they degrade if standing for a while? The reasons I ask is that I'm looking to get some tyres soon as I'll need them for mocking up purposes. I'm unsure whether to get them now, or to get some cheaper ones for setting up purposes & then switch to the Avons later

any thoughts appreciated :D
cheers...Nige
Roger King

Re: Avon CR6ZZ tyres

Post by Roger King »

If you can find something cheap n' cheerful for the build I'd certainly do that. The Avons are extremely expensive tyres and while you're doing metalwork etc. I wouldn't take the risk. In any case tyres don't like sitting without getting used, as evidenced by my new SP Sports on their stainless MWS wires - two are no longer holding air well after the 2 1/2 year wait (so far). There are also occasional rumours that circulate regarding new legislation on tyre age. All tyres are date-coded, and new legislation is threatened that will make this date code part of the MOT. Anything older in whatever condition will fail, no doubt supported by the tyre industry.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi Nige,

I have a part worn set of Goodyear Billboards that you're welcome to. I replaced them last year on my Cobra with a set of Avons. I probably wouldn't use them in anger, but they'll be fine for mocking up and keeping it off the floor.

Paul
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

PaulB wrote:Hi Nige,

I have a part worn set of Goodyear Billboards that you're welcome to. I replaced them last year on my Cobra with a set of Avons. I probably wouldn't use them in anger, but they'll be fine for mocking up and keeping it off the floor.

Paul
Thanks Paul, you're an absolute star :D do you want to sell them or would you like them back? are they 295-50-15's & 245-60-15's as that's what you have on yours now isn't it?
cheers..Nige
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

No, you can have them. I have no further use for them. They aren't sized in the usual way. From memory, they're about 26.5" overall diameter.
This link will take you to the sizes on the Roger Kraus website:

http://rogerkrausracing.com/racetirepri ... 015cat.pdf

Paul
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

PaulB wrote:No, you can have them. I have no further use for them. They aren't sized in the usual way. From memory, they're about 26.5" overall diameter.
This link will take you to the sizes on the Roger Kraus website:

http://rogerkrausracing.com/racetirepri ... 015cat.pdf

Paul
Thanks Paul, that's great, is it ok if I pick them up at the end of the month as I should be up your way then?
cheers..Nige
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Yes, no problem. They've been sitting outside so I'll give them a clean. :)

Paul
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Regards Avon CR6ZZ tyres Nige, the rears last between 8 and 10,000 miles, depending how you drive. I also use them in at least 2 series on my MGB race car, and whereas the Dunlop historic crossply race tyres only last 3 hrs each, the Avons are in their 5th season!

The Avons really are very good, well worth the price if you're a fast driver... they may save your life one day :?

Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

How are they in the wet ?
Early B.R.A. Warmed 3.9 Rover, 5 sp, 3.07 rear, Fully adjustable front suspension with AVO coilovers, 4 link rear suspension AVO coilovers and Panhard bar, Big 2 pot front calipers, rear discs, servo'd, adjustable front / rear bias, scruffy paint job !
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

CobStang wrote:How are they in the wet ?
Still expensive.