engine identification

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Fireball

engine identification

Post by Fireball »

anyone fancy a quiz?
Picture question: What engine is this?
(I thought it was a 302 but not sure anymore!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Finally sorted Dax 'AC 289' after 4 years in the wilderness.
Fireball

Re: engine identification - more pics

Post by Fireball »

more pictures....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roger King

Re: engine identification

Post by Roger King »

Well, it is and it isn't... I think it's a '5-oh', a 5.0litre later version of a 302. Is there a casting number on the block facing the starter motor? Not sure if 5.0s had them or not. TBH I don't know enough about these later engines to tell you if, or how, to use it. It may be a 'roller' block - i.e. for a roller cam. Do you know what it came out of? A 90s Mustang, maybe?
Maxakarudy

Post by Maxakarudy »

If no one on here can help, try the American cobra forum, sorry I haven't got clue what it would be.

Martin
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

These guys have been more than helpful to me over the years regarding small block Fords:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/119417
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Roger,
Thanks for the lead, it'll give me something to try and glean more information from on these cold nights.
The followers are roller and there isn't any number cast above or behind where the starter motor would be. I've no idea what it's from but due to the 5.0 castings and minimal cast identifications leads me to think it's a late block as my 260 has the 'normal' decade identification letters which I thought all Windsors had.
Time for more digging,

James
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I think '86-'95 5-litre, most likely. I guess it has the threaded pedestals in the lifter valley for the spider?

If you're not bothered about originality (although to most eyes it will look the same), you can do a lot more with a roller block. Roller cam profiles can be a LOT more interesting than flat tappets, with far more aggressive ramps. My Mustang has a roller-block 351W stroked to 393, and the cam it came with from Ford Motorsport was insane. Well, it was sold as NASCAR-spec... After the first 2,000 miles I had to detune it, as it was pretty much undriveable under 2500 rpm which was giving horrendous drivetrain shunt and was no use for long distance touring. I put in a much milder cam (one of the Lunati Voodoo series - still roller, obviously), dropped to a 750 Edelbrock from the 750 Mighty Demon (a mechanical secondary carb), and generally detuned to make it enjoyable. With it as low as I can get it, John Sleath's rolling road still showed it giving 410 bhp at the roller! Way more than enough for a vintage 'Stang.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Again - yes! It does have a 'spider' in the valley, I think the 2H28 is the 28th August 1992 and the block may be from Dearborn, Michigan.