Safety belts for FIA

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
John H
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Safety belts for FIA

Post by John H »

Hi all, it's a bit premature as I am not through IVA yet with my inertia belts, but wondered what were the most authentic seat belts to fit to the FIA once I am through the test. I have seen lots of pictures with many different belts, 4 point 5 point and all sorts of mechanisms. What are the most authentic that I can buy today?
Built St Piran Hawk289FIA in Scotland!
Paul Blore

Re: Safety belts for FIA

Post by Paul Blore »

A 4-point latch & link type with 3" wide black belts would be the most authentic. Mine are from Stroud Safety:

http://www.stroudsafety.com/SeatBelts.html

But these are the most original:

http://www.cobranda.com/raybrcosebe.html

But definitely NOT red or blue Willans or similar. :wink:

Paul
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

I agree with Paul, but just a word of caution...my wife HATES them! The clasps are really heavy and the swan neck mechanism is far from intuitive (as anyone who has ever given passenger demo rides will testify to!). If only the clasps were made in a high-grade alloy!

Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
John H
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by John H »

Thanks for the replies. I hear you Colin..... Decision decisions.....I could always reinstate the inertia for when she is in the car!!! :lol:
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

The Ray Brown latches are aluminium, but they aren't cheap. I have no problem with these belts and neither does my wife now that she has got used to them. But every new passenger needs a crash course on how to fasten them.

Paul
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Paul Blore wrote:... But every new passenger needs a crash course on how to fasten them...Paul
Maybe not the best choice of words...given the subject! :oops: :lol: :wink:

I have black Willans 4-point Kamlocks in mine, Same as THESE, I (and my passengers) find the adjusters a bit of a phaff...

Also, it is easy to pull the lapbelt halfway up your stomach when tightening the shoulder straps, unless you have it pulled good & tight before doing the shoulders. :oops:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I think any fixed harness is going to be a bit of a palaver to be honest. What we need is an inertia reel 4-point harness. :D

It is vital that the lap belts are fully tightened across the hips (NOT the stomach) before the shoulder straps are tightened. If the lap strap is across the stomach, you risk serious or even potentially fatal injury in even a mild collision due to ruptured internal organs.

I use a 6-point harness, which prevents "submarining" under the lap strap.

Paul
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Paul Blore wrote:I think any fixed harness is going to be a bit of a palaver to be honest. What we need is an inertia reel 4-point harness. :D

Paul
Now wouldn't that make mandatory pit shops/driver changes easy-peasy :D
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
John H
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by John H »

Paul Blore wrote:I think any fixed harness is going to be a bit of a palaver to be honest. What we need is an inertia reel 4-point harness. :D

It is vital that the lap belts are fully tightened across the hips (NOT the stomach) before the shoulder straps are tightened. If the lap strap is across the stomach, you risk serious or even potentially fatal injury in even a mild collision due to ruptured internal organs.

I use a 6-point harness, which prevents "submarining" under the lap strap.

Paul
Interesting you say that Paul as I reached out to Bob Stroud in the USA and they would not supply a 4 point harness as he feels they are unsafe. He will only supply a 5 point minimum. So in the Hawk where would you attach the 5th point to, the seat frame at the front? Where do the 5th and 6th point fit to in your car?
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

The 6-point is actually easier to install than a 5-point as the crotch strap is a "V" belt that simply attaches to the forward mounting points on both side of the seat. I don't have seat slides in my car, so the eyelets on the end of the crotch strap are sandwiched between the seat and the floor with the seat bolts going through them.
Once it is fitted, adjust it so that it holds the lap belt across your hips and doesn't allow it to ride any higher. Driving with a correctly fitted and tightened full harness really improves the driving experience because you're not having to brace yourself against cornering forces because you're being held in place by the harness, which leaves you completely free to concentrate on your lines etc.

Paul