Very nearly there now!

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Roger King

Very nearly there now!

Post by Roger King »

I think I'm on the final bit of the home straight with my car now (famous last words). Today I've been finishing off the running-in procedure by swapping out the cam break-in springs for the final set of running springs as recommended by Comp for the 271 solid lifter cam. So I've had a fun day with my valve spring micrometer, airline and valve spring compressor check-measuring installed spring height before switching over to the dual springs (damper) with titanium caps. This has given me the opportunity to fine-tune pushrod length, moving up 50 thou to get them spot-on.

Is it finished? Well, there's the all-important final session on the rolling road to organise, but all things considered it should be! Don't hold me to that...
IainS

Re: Very nearly there now!

Post by IainS »

Really? So car will be finished soon and never needs tinkering with again?
Out of interest where do you get your pushrods from, as you imply increments of +/- 50 thou?

Iain
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

IainS wrote:Really? So car will be finished soon and never needs tinkering with again?
Out of interest where do you get your pushrods from, as you imply increments of +/- 50 thou?

Iain
Highly unlikely! But for now, at any rate...
I usually get my pushrods (and pretty much all engine parts) from Summit Racing. What length would you like? Just click 'show all' in the length section.

https://www.summitracing.com/dom/search ... cation=dom

It's well worth spending a bit of time ensuring your valvetrain geometry is correct as it makes a huge difference to rates of wear.
Maxakarudy

Post by Maxakarudy »

Glad to see I'm not the the only one with a valve spring mic, can't seem to get them over ere :D
Martin
IainS

Post by IainS »

Roger, I stopped buying in the US since Brexit but at some stage I'll have to bite the bullet...

I use Real Steel but they have a comparatively limited range of sizes. I have 6.876 and looks like I need to drop a tenth to pull the roller tip towards the centre. They were out of stock... As my build is in pre-paint mode and in an increasingly large number of parts, I won't be able to get the engine going again until the spring so this isn't a priority.

Iain
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

IainS wrote:Roger, I stopped buying in the US since Brexit but at some stage I'll have to bite the bullet...

I use Real Steel but they have a comparatively limited range of sizes. I have 6.876 and looks like I need to drop a tenth to pull the roller tip towards the centre. They were out of stock... As my build is in pre-paint mode and in an increasingly large number of parts, I won't be able to get the engine going again until the spring so this isn't a priority.

Iain
I buy all my parts from the US - Real Steel don't get any favours from the US suppliers, so you're paying another layer of profit anyway...

I have an order open with Summit at the moment (waiting for a Mustang steering joint to come into stock), so if you want anything adding to it let me know. Obviously it won't reduce the price much, but it'll help a bit.
Having said that if you are changing your valvetrain geometry, decent pushrods (1 piece 5/16" chrome molys) are expensive so make sure you've done all your sums. Assuming you have the seats cut, the valves installed and have decided upon and installed rockers and lifters, you need to measure the pushrod length with an adjustable vernier pushrod. Check at various available lengths until you get the mark in the right place on the valve stem with your permanent marker, then you can safely make an order. Sounds like you are heading towards stock length, if you're going down from 6.876". I am now running 6.950" in my engine, but it's one of those motors that looks as stock as possible from the outside but is nowhere near stock inside...

Roger
IainS

Post by IainS »

Thanks for the offer Roger. I have already broken in my 268H and it runs and sounds great. But before I use the engine in earnest and certainly get near the rev limit I will replace the push rods, as said the roller contact is a tad towards the exhaust side. One of many jobs for the spring!

Iain
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

IainS wrote:... I stopped buying in the US since Brexit but at some stage I'll have to bite the bullet..
Hi Iain,

The Summit service is really good, but like you say the pound's strength is making that less compelling at the mo. However, if you're prepared to wait, I can highly recommend R&R Hotrod Imports. I've bought a few things with them - they order for you from Summit, ship to a warehouse in New Jersey and have it put in a container every month. If you've got time, this works out cheaper than paying for it to come via iParcel or whatever international shipping that Summit offer. They do the VAT and import duty as well.

As an example, a pair of reproduction open-letter Cobra rocker covers and an oil cap from Summit was going to be $394 for me to buy direct including vat, air freight and import duty. That's £324 at today's rate. They're getting it shipped in for £280. Not a huge saving, but it all adds up. I imagine a larger shipment would incur less cost.

Speak to Russ - a very nice chap. His number's at the top of the website: http://www.randrhotrodimports.co.uk

They can also get things from other suppliers imported too - bought a T5 gearbox from Modern Driveline and they imported it.

Cheers,

Andy
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Yes, for big stuff like gearboxes and engine blocks I use STS Imports, Ron Fenton. Ron is an active member of the MOCGB and has a continuous stream of containers coming over, usually with complete cars. He's now shipped 4 toploaders and at least 10 289 blocks over for me and offers a complete service including on to your front door if you don't want to collect from Essex. No container service is quick, though...
andyg
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by andyg »

Maybe I should start a personal shopper service for smaller items from the states! (For a small fee - I am Scottish after all :shock: )

Andy