Disk brake options

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Disk brake options

Post by amulheirn »

Hi all -

I'm just starting to consider buying the front brakes for my build, and although I'd like to buy Gerry's, they're more expensive than other options out there. The two alternatives I have come across are these:

Wilwood MGB kit - £513 including VAT
http://www.motorsport-tools.com/wilwood ... ipers.html

Hi-Spec MGB conversion - £620 including VAT
http://www.hispecmotorsport.co.uk/28524b4.html

I've not given it a lot of thought so far, but I can't see a drawback. They're designed as 4-pot upgrade kits to the MGB front end, with a minimum wheel diameter of 15", so that should all be fine, right?

Would appreciate your thoughts,

Regards,

Andrew
Johannes1

Re: Disk brake options

Post by Johannes1 »

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-mo ... 6-628.html

I took this one for my Hawk (without brakeservo) of course they are not cheap but before Xmas they gave a promotion rate off - 20 - 30%.
I never have never seen vented disc at a car which were constructed 1962, so i prefer the "simple" Willwood brake kit. It works fine in our days and traffic and for me it´s enough brakepower.
all the best
Johannes
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks Johannes. You're right - the Moss disks don't look so authentic. Also the Wilwood kit in the first link above is quite a lot cheaper (but does not include pads).

What kind of front suspension do you have - Moss, Hawk or original MGB?

I think in the Moss photo there are two different pipe fittings - a straight one for standard MGB, and an angled one for the Moss suspension (I assume because the flexible hose fixing point is different). In the first link I think there's only the straight fitting, so I might need an angled one. I need to check if the Hawk setup is the same as the Moss one. (see page 2 here: http://www.mossmotors.com/graphics/prod ... 86-628.pdf)
Johannes1

Post by Johannes1 »

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-mo ... 41043.html
this is my configuration for my front suspension. I´ll sent you some pics via pm, the forum does not work. (with iPad)
i´m very happy with brakes and the frontsupension, and i bought the Parts together in Christmas-time, and the guys at Moss made a affortable price.
Johannes
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi Andrew
I used BGC at Wisbech which was Hawks supplier for the brake and fuel lines. They created a complete kit using Willwood 4 pots and Ali bell mounts.
The discs are vented but who is going to check inside the wheel to see.
At 298 mm dia they are the largest that fit inside 15" alloys. Caliphers clear the balance weight by around 3mm!
Cost was £600 - 15 years ago but that would have included his design costs.
Hope tha helps
Peter
Johannes1

Post by Johannes1 »

first pic shows the bit poor original , the rest the new and good one.
It fits and works great.
Johannes
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Hi Johannes - that looks good... I might do that and save myself a few hundred pounds.

Peter - when you talk about bell mounts (apologies for the lack of knowledge here) do you mean the bit that attaches the rotor to the hub? If so, is it a significant weight saving? I went onto BGC's website, and they have a very long price-list that isn't split into sections, so I'll have to give them a ring I think.

Thanks again,

Andrew

EDIT: I just found the answer to my own question, Peter. This was quite a helpful document: https://www.rallydesign.co.uk/pdf/desig ... brakes.pdf

It also has the amusing (and very sensible) post-script from the Rally Design senior designer at the end:
"I must say that if you found the foregoing difficult to understand, despite written as simple to communicate as I can, then you should not contemplate designing your own brakes kit."
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Andrew
If you choose to go with BGC it would be worth me checking the accuracy of my set up before they machine the calliper mounting block. Memory says that the calliper might be mounted a tiny bit too far out e.g 1.5 mm
Bearing in mind that the bolts all but locate the calliper without possible adjustment.
In fairness to BGC they did work to my dimensions !
Let me know if you want any checks done.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

front suspension.JPG
[/img]
Andrew
Just for reference this is my set up. 298mm vented cast iron with Ali bell mounting.
I can confirm that caliper would be better mounted approx 1-1.5mm in towards the axle center line. e.g. the pads just starting to over hang the O/D of the disc. No big issue in 14,000 miles but might eventually start wearing the corner so I plan to move it in.
In case you ask what the Ali parts are within the caliper they are home made anti squeal / rattle shims.
Peter C
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks Peter - that's great!