Clutch/Brake Reservoirs

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
BilltheBairn

Clutch/Brake Reservoirs

Post by BilltheBairn »

I lost the clutch pressure recently. Upon checking the fluid level, I found it was down below the clutch outlet level and it was extremely discoloured. It is a "SOVY" single pot unit, which has another 2 further outlet nipples at the base of the unit which feeds the brakes. The level sensor is completely corroded and I now need to purchase a replacement 3 pot unit. Does any one have any suggestions as to which type and who would be best to supply. Thanks
Paul Blore

Re: Clutch/Brake Reservoirs

Post by Paul Blore »

When was the last time you replaced your clutch fluid? Clutch fluid does get discoloured in my experience, but the corrosion would suggest that you have excessive moisture in the fluid, which happens over time.

If you're not bothered about originality, you could use something like these:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorspor ... -reservoir

But if you want the original look, you'll want something like these:

http://www.pegasusparts.co.uk/ourshop_9 ... voirs.html

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

For originality, 289s were equipped with two 'short' steel brake reservoirs mounted on the front of the driver's side footbox - these are getting hard to find. The clutch reservoir was integral with the cylinder.
Use a good DOT4 fluid and change both clutch and brake fluid every two years, it's not a big job.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

427's had three reservoirs, two 'long' ones for the front and rear brake circuits and a 'short' one for the clutch. All three were mounted on the inside of the left front wheel arch panel.

It could reasonably be argued that every two years is maybe a little excessive, but certainly every four years. :wink:

Paul
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Just check whether you are obliged to have fluid level sensing. It sounds like you had one that didn't work due to the amount of moisture in the system. As previous comments you should change the fluids occasionally to get rid of the moisture which is attracted by the fluids hygroscopic properties.
With a common reservoir I am surprised that you haven't noticed a drop off in performance the brakes before now. Suggest you give a thorough bleed through of all the brake lines otherwise you will be suffering from rusty brake lines which of course is far more serious than the clutch.
Your car must be a fairly old one as I would have expected a requirement for separate reservoirs for front and rear brake circuits. Perhaps your unit has dividing walls to make it effectively three containers in one.
Peter C
BilltheBairn

Post by BilltheBairn »

I bought the car late last year. It is a 2000 reg DAX 427. Having looked at the discolouration of the fluid and the amount of corrosion on the reservoir sensor stalk, I would guess that the fluid has not been changed for a LONG time. The car is booked in next week to have the brake/clutch fluid flushed out and replaced at the same time as other new parts being fitted. As the current SOVY unit is long obsolete, I was thinking of purchasing either a new 3 pot unit OR separate double (brakes) and single pot (clutch) units. Should there be any bias either way ? Thanks and any suggestions as to suppliers ?
ALF
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by ALF »

You cam buy the Girling can's as a reproduction from ERA or Nick Acton.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

ALF wrote:You cam buy the Girling can's as a reproduction from ERA or Nick Acton.
Nick's not quite right with his descriptions. Original 289s had two short reservoirs for front and rear brakes, the clutch had a built-in reservoir with the cylinder.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Nick Acton seems to have acquired a very poor reputation amongst Club Cobra members over the past year or so. I always thought his products were expensive, but good quality, but that doesn't always seem to be the case from what I've read. The follow link is to a thread concerning a car that he sold and there was another, more more bitter case involving an "original" style chassis that he produced for a customer:

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scratch ... build.html

As always, caveat emptor.

Paul
Migge

Post by Migge »

Special customized BRA289