Brake fluid

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
morgy

Re: Brake fluid

Post by morgy »

Thanks for all the replies....

As i don't have a clue when my fluid was last changed i will do a change this winter, The fluid looks clean, but i am unable to check for water %. Does anyone use these Testers??
http://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-brake-f ... GwodczoHDw

I was looking around at all the alternatives and thought silicone might be the way to go after the resto, Apart from Less feel in the pedal what are the other negatives?
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

DON'T

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Paul Blore wrote:DON'T

Paul
What he said!!!!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

morgy wrote:Thanks for all the replies....

As i don't have a clue when my fluid was last changed i will do a change this winter, The fluid looks clean, but i am unable to check for water %. Does anyone use these Testers??
http://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-brake-f ... GwodczoHDw

I was looking around at all the alternatives and thought silicone might be the way to go after the resto, Apart from Less feel in the pedal what are the other negatives?
I never bother to test it, just change it. I use ATE200 in blue and amber, as Paul said by changing the colour you can tell when the fresh stuff is coming through. A good tip is to get some large plastic syringes and suck all the old out of the reservoir first. I even dry it as best I can with paper towels, then top up with the new and bleed as normal until the colour change comes through. This way you don't have all the faff of bleeding loads of air out as well.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Exactly as Roger said.

Paul
bevan
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by bevan »

This is my first post on the forum, have been feeling the urge to join in for some time now and this post has been the trigger.
Some of our learned friends have given you a categoric NO to silicon brake fluid without saying why ?
I have used it in my Ace where it has been sitting quite happily for 4 or 5 years now and with minimal use !
Also some 21 years ago I carried out a total overhaul of the braking system on my sisters Fulvia HF, seized callipers and master cylinder from lack of use.
Needless to say I re filled it with silicon fluid which remains in it to this day and brakes are fine. I think it should be a consideration especially with a brand new system. Automec sell a Silicon Dot 5 fluid which they say never needs to be changed. I can only speak as I find.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Welcome Byron. :D

I used silicon in my previous Cobra from new and no matter what I did, I couldn't completely get rid of a spongy brake pedal.

Roger, over to you. :wink:

Paul
David Large

Post by David Large »

I had silicon brake fluid in my BRA for about 20 years with no problems at all; in fact I don't think I ever changed it. I did change it to a DOT 4 fluid about 7 or 8 years ago because of comments on this site.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
morgy

Post by morgy »

Thanks for your post Bevan!

I can only go off internet searches regarding silicone use, The only real negative seems to be a 'spongy' Pedal? I guess using silicone in a system that has or had normal fluid in will open up a can of worms but in a completely new system?

SO what are the real life issues with Silicone fluid?
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I used to use Automec's silicone brake fluid in my Healeys, non-servoed, systems. I made this choice purely to protect the paintwork. The pedal was never great, but on three separate occasions in two different cars I had worrying brake issues. The one that scared me most was on a MSA Two-Day Classic, driving carefully down the return route for the Porlock Hillclimb in Devon. This was public road, in with normal traffic so no great speeds were reached. Near the bottom my pedal suddenly went right to the floor and I had virtually no brakes. I was doing about 35-40 and was at a point where i had to choose - dry stone wall, or Merc 300SL Gullwing in front of me... Luckily frantic pumping of the pedal and killing the motor in gear whilst yanking on the handbrake pulled me up, just in time. Checked the levels, fine - I don't know if it boiled, or what - but over the next two years I had similar issues twice more including one in a different car. That was enough!
My other concern is that silicone fluid is non-hygroscopic so absorbs no water. I've dismantled the braking system on 4 cars now that have used this fluid, and in each one I have found that condensation has formed a water layer 'on top' of the brake fluid which has resulted in a significant rust level in the cylinders/pistons etc.
I just prefer to rebleed regularly and check that everything is working as it should rather than relying on the MOT tester's rollers, but it's all personal choice.
Oh - forgot to say - Hi Byron!! and welcome!!