Brake fluid

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Paul Blore

Re: Brake fluid

Post by Paul Blore »

Roger's experience with his brakes has just reminded me that I had a similar experience with the clutch on my previous Cobra on a couple of occasions. The pedal inexplicably went right to the floor with almost no resistance and then after a few pumps, came back to normal. I also had silicon fluid in the clutch system.

The "pooling" of condensation is also a point for consideration. I suspect that having silicon fluid makes owners more inclined to leave it for extended periods, so by the time a problem manifests itself, it's probably more serious that it would otherwise be.

Paul
bevan
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by bevan »

Hello morgy

It looks like it would be a brave man who uses silicon brake fluid in the face of comments received. I confess I used it in all innocence after seeing first hand what happens to a neglected system using conventional fluid. None of my other cars have it in them.
Roger is right about lack of use being the enemy and his advice is sound about changing every few years.

Meanwhile I will continue with the silicon in my Ace and see what happens ! May be be a bit more circumspect when driving it after the IVA.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Hi Byron,

The fact is that there are no right or wrong answers. We make our own decisions based on experience, and maybe advice - the truth is that any braking system needs regular monitoring and maintenance, there are no easy shortcuts!

Happy Christmas!