Ford 302 Block Age

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
jamesmacv8
T289R Member
T289R Member

Ford 302 Block Age

Post by jamesmacv8 »

Hi All,

I'm just interested to get some feedback on the age of some of the 302 engine blocks that people are using. I know in terms of emissions testing this can be an issue for the MOT for the later engine's more stringent tests. How likely is it that a freshly built, newer blocked engine will pass without cat's fitted?

Regards,
James
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Ford 302 Block Age

Post by StewbieC »

The guidelines are set in stone
http://www.realsteel.co.uk/usedengines.pdf

Mine is a 65 289 so the Mot tester has a glance at the exhaust and that's it. (No visual smoke is the test).

The earlier the better but be mindful of the overbore of the blocks. +.045 are questionable. Above that and they will need sleeving and should be best avoided.

Post by IainS »

I'm not sure where you are in your build? Engine date and emission test requirements are confirmed at the IVA test and this data is fed to DVLA via your test certificate. The V5C will then state the emissions test required at future MOT's. Ford engine block dating is simple, an experienced IVA tester will understand the engine code and will verify. You should get a letter confirming the date of the block in case IVA inspector is less clued up, or wants added confirmation. I got one from Fords technical department but you'll have to provide the date as they are not that clued up on US engines.... My 302 is D1' so 1971.

Iain
jamesmacv8
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by jamesmacv8 »

Many thanks guys,

Engine build not started yet as I'm still looking for an old block/crank/rods combination. I see there is a 1968 unit in need of rebuild on Ebay (link attached), could be a good basis, although block would require crack testing / machining etc. Can you recommend any other sources for 302's in need of re-build?

James

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1968-For ... RTM2063723
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

That looks pretty good to me, still std bore so could go to +0.030" which is fine unless the mark mentioned is very deep. Hopefully crank and rods would be useable too, and you don't really need any of the other bits. I guess you could use heads, but aluminium ones would be far better.
Good price too. I thought the 500 quid block (well, almost) was a thing of the past.
IainS

Post by IainS »

James, in that case look for a D4 block or older. As said you could come unstuck at the last minute if you have a savy IVA tester... You really need to avoid anything other than visual smoke test.

I'd research the cost of a freshly machined short block. When I looked into this the machining costs on top of a cut out were close to what Real Steel charge for a nice short block, and you'll get some sort of guarantee. You could buy a long block, but that's no fun :D

Iain
morgy

Post by morgy »

I do have a 302 ford motorsport engine for sale... I have a guy that seems interested in buying it. if your interested give me a pm
jamesmacv8
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by jamesmacv8 »

Thanks for your help guys.

Morgy, I'm enjoy building engines, so I'm keen to do my own but thanks for the offer anyway.

Cheers
James
morgy

Post by morgy »

you can always rebuild it... :lol: :lol: :wink:
jamesmacv8
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by jamesmacv8 »

I have a question regarding IVA smoke test.

I plan to fit new aluminium heads - will this have any influence on an IVA tester or is it only the block casting number they look for? (in my case C5AE 6015 E).

I have managed to source a very nice 1965, 289 unit (std. bore, +0.010 crank). I have stripped to a bare casting ready for soda blasting this weekend.

James