Water Pump Replacement

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Water Pump Replacement

Post by peterc »

Hi Colin,
I assume that they have checked that the fuel line is not damaged/ squashed somewhere between tank and regulator/ filter.
Is the tank CS or St Stl. If CS is there any chance is was coated internally and the coating is coming off.
Did you inspect the type of crap in the filter.
Peter C
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Well...I couldn't have seen this one coming. Fuel tank had to come out and undoing the inspection hatch revealed a broken up baffle apparatus around the fuel pick up (apparently like the gates in a baffled sump). The welds had failed and what's worse is that someone had tried to repair with adhesive! certainly not me. So not only were there bits of metal floating about but also black bits of crap that kept getting sucked up to the pick-up.

The guys are going to clear out the mess and do away with the baffles, then reinstall. I'll need to watch my low fuel levels for surging but at least I'll be back on the road.

Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hah! And you laughed at my Humber Sceptre story!

Glad to hear you're getting it sorted though Colin. Strange how it happened at the same time as you changed your water pump which made me think it was related to that.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Excuse my ignorance but didn’t you buy your car new? What’s with a repaired fuel tank? Did you swop the Kirkham unit for a competition special to have the baffled outlet?
Anyway, glad you have got to the bottom of the problem. As you say you couldn’t see that sort of issue coming.
You need to check the pump filter for bits of glue.
Peter C