Smiths fuel gauge issue

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
spiyda

Re: Smiths fuel gauge issue

Post by spiyda »

I had a little further throught on this and I remember solving a similar problem on a bedford van back in the 70's!

thre length of the arm was insufficient for the float to reach the bottom of the tank at empty.

The solution was to lengthen the arm by means of a length of coat hanger and the metal inserts out of a couple of 15A terminal blocks as joining blocks

I know its a bit heath robinson and a nicely soldered extension would probably be neater, but it did in fact do the job !

(If my 14 year old cat (71 in human years) wasn't listening I'd probably say theres more than one way of S****g a cat ! )

Chris

Spiyda Ltd.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

spiyda wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:18 am
thre length of the arm was insufficient for the float to reach the bottom of the tank at empty.

The solution was to lengthen the arm by means of a length of coat hanger and the metal inserts out of a couple of 15A terminal blocks as joining blocks

Chris

Spiyda Ltd.
Sometimes it is the most obvious.I had assumed that the mechanicals were all OK and it was an electrical fault. Well done and glad you got it sorted.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks Chris, I will try to remember that when I drag the tank out. I think that the arm was adjustable for length and then needed the clips crimping once the length had been established but the screwed connections sound a pretty good idea.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I should have checked it all electrically before bolting the tank in place not just inspect the mechanical element.
Peter C