Engine Oil for Rover engines

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Engine Oil for Rover engines

Post by stu60 »

my pennies worth...

I have just installed a rebuilt Rover 4.0 and queried oil to use with Real Steel who supplied the camshaft. Their reply as follows:-

"The oil to use for first 500+ miles is Competition Cams break-in oil ( BY1590 £6.60 per US qt )
The additive is BY159 £12.98
Normally we supply 6 quarts of oil & one bottle of additive for the first engine fill for 500+ miles.
After the run in period use Comp Cams follow on oil BY1595C + one third of a bottle of additive per engine fill ( BY1595C £9.19 per US qt )
Comp Cams recommend run this formula for the next 2 - 3000 miles.
After the 3500 miles bedding in period you should be ok to use Valvoline VR1 which is still has a smaller amount of ZDDP additive in.
Valvoline VR1 ( AZ11951 £38.86 5 ltr )
Valvoline VR1 ( AZ11940 £8.56 1 ltr )
You can always put extra additive in with VR1 for peace of mind if you choose."

i also took the advice of my engine builder who recommended VR1 20:50, so that's another vote for this oil
rgds Stuart
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Just to finish off the Rover oil saga.
I changed over to the Valvolene VR1 as several members had sworn by its suitability and benefits. If the 20-50 mineral oil is good enough for a members 420 BHP 5.2L Rover engine then it must be OK for my 4.6L
I have noticed a small improvement in oil pressure particularly at lower revs.
30psi up from 25 at idle when hot ( obviously) and 37 up from 33 at 1000rpm. At 1500 it gave 43 and 45+ at 2000 compared to 40. OK small improvement at working revs but moving in the right direction.
I felt it was encouraging that the idle pressure was maintained a bit better. I know the engine is doing nothing at idle but even so seeing only 25psi became a bit disconcerting.
Peter C
johnalbert

Post by johnalbert »

Hey guys i am sharing my experience about the oil. I'm using Penrite HPR 30 (20W-60). Its a mineral with a high zinc content, which is essential for Rover V8s. A lot of Aussie Land Rover owners use the Penrite range.
michaellloyd

Post by michaellloyd »

Just had my 3.5 rover lump converted by RPI enginering to 4.6,they advised me that they only use Valvoline in all of there rover rebuilds,as i was already useing the said 20/50 for a number of years i was quite pleased with my self. the said oil is Valvoline VRI, raceing 20w50,mineral,,,,available from amazon. RPI suggests always use genuine land rover oil filters,, NOT aftermarket...hope this helps.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Michael, I had the same advice on the use of genuine Land Rover oil filters from a member who hill climbs his 5.2 L Rover engined MGB.
For reference Part number is LERR3340X.
Peter C
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Having owned the TVR Chimaera 450 (Range Rover 4.5 EFI breathed on by TVR Power) for a few weeks now I was fascinated to learn that the experts in these cars stress the importance of a good mineral oil, 20-50 or 20-60. Millers will be my choice.
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

And don’t take Mr Halfords advice and use 10-40 semi synthetic.
It never ceases to amaze me the differing advice being given by alleged experts. Shows the importance of the likes of the forum and get real advice from users.
Having realised rather late on that the mineral 20-50 is better and important for the cam followers I am surprised that those using the thinner oils are not having issues.
Peter C
Karl

Post by Karl »

Well Peter, running Mobil1 0-40 since 10 years (after break-in with mineral oil), no problems, but it is a Ford with all new internals and machined to modern tolerances!
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

As these engines don't do a particularly high annual mileage the main concern is the amount of zinc in the oil. My 1968 engine (Ford 302) was built by Peter Knight of Knight Racing Services and he advised me specifically to use mineral oil, and in particular Millers Classic Pistoneeze20/50

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/source/dat ... %20(2).pdf
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Reminder guys we are being specific about the Rover lump.
I can’t speak for the Ford.
One of our members has bitter experience of using a more modern oil in his 5.2 Rover and since my initial enquiry there have been many references that have extolled the benefits of the mineral oil with added zinc.
Peter C