Cobra rear lights LED conversion

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
frats289

Re: Cobra rear lights LED conversion

Post by frats289 »

I like the nice warm glow of the originals myself...It is a 60's replica after all.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I agree. And I've never heard lof anyone being rear ended due to poor rear lights.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Clive probably because few people drive at night....but I was interested in instruments being so dim, did we really drive cars like this ? Bought two bulbs for Speedo and rev counter to try out this weekend.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I agree re the instrument lights in particular the speedo being dim. I have covered many miles at night in my car and have often thought about replacing the bulbs in them but never got round to it. If I know I will be travelling any distance at night I usually rely on my TomTom to tell me my speed.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

I have a speed app on my phone which has a head up display. At night when driving my TR6 (which has the most dismal dash lighting) I place it on the dash and it reflects on my screen. I find it really useful.
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
David Large

Post by David Large »

I think Colin Newbold got rear ended because of dim back lights
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

peterc wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:44 am Kevin, the other thing you shouldn’t do when testing each circuit is to try to illuminate the indicator bulb continuously.
The LED’s are designed to only be illuminated briefly as in normal flashing.
In chasing my earthing errors I connected a permanent live supply to both the brake and indicator circuit as various times. Fortunately probably not longer than 30 secs or so but Spyida advised the system wasn’t design for continuous power to the indicators as they would over heat.
Peter C
I guess this suggests that Hazards should not be used for long periods then!?
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Kevin, when I said the indicators were powered up continuously I meant the LED’s were constantly lit and not flashing.
They should be perfectly OK for the hazard light operation as they will be powered down in between every illumination. The heat sink will take the heat away OK.
Sorry if I confused anyone.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I think Colin’s problem was the original USA style flashing brake lights.
Slowing down to turn right with only one brake light and the other flashing for the turn was not obvious to a UK driver.
Originality has its price I think.
With today’s crowded roads I am more than happy to have the brighter rear lights provided by the LED conversion.
The fact that the indicators are effectively hidden when not working helps with the original look.
Perhaps the way to look at the cost of them is to think of the cost of being rear ended.
Peter C
monster7

Post by monster7 »

I kept the original Lucas light with the bulp but added a bright yellow LED light from a scooter flasher in the lower part and separated the functions. Worked out perfect with highly visible orange turning light for more or less no costs :)
Would add a picture if i could...