Fuel line routing

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
monster7

Fuel line routing

Post by monster7 »

Gentlemen,
i'm in the process to switch to EFI with return line, fuel inlet on the TB is on the right hand side, but i'm forced to route the fuel line in the left side arms, as the other side is used for the brake lines.
Routing inside the gear tunnel is tight and hard to mount afterwards.
Saying that, i have to route the fuel lines within the engine from left to the middle of the firewall, where the pressure regulator will sit. I'm thinking to go with hard lines lowest possible, AN flaring tool is available. I would like to avoid to route across the engine as it was before.
Does anyone have the same approach/solution? Is there a better way to do it on a Hawk?
Thanks and regards,
Ronald
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Fuel line routing

Post by StewbieC »

There are 32mm grommet holes on the outriggers outboard of the chassis tubes on both sides. There is plenty of scope to double up on lines. Normally Near side is used for the fuel line and offside for the brakes, dictated by the pedal box on the drivers side.
I would hazard a guess that the majority of us have a fuel line over the top of the engine. Mine is a fuel safe s/s braided hose. I wouldn't want a solid fuel pipe connecting to the engine as there's quite a bit of movement but running the lines in solid would be fine but a little fiddly if you want to get the longest lengths in one. I'd also suggest a flexible connection to the fuel pump.
Which FI system are you looking at?
I was looking at the Sniper system but that project is down the pecking order.

Post by monster7 »

Thanks Stew,
solid line was only meant to be used in the engine bay. Rubber line from pump to the bay and back, and from the FPR to the inlet/outlet to exactly address your concerns.
I'm going with the Atomic as i had a smoke deal on it and i do not have a need for all the fancy options the newer systems like Sniper have. I will use an intank pump system from Tank Inc. as suggested for EFI application instead the pump supplied with the kit (heat issues). All will be Dash 6.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Just make sure the fuel line on the pressure line is rated for the pump pressure. EFI systems normally require much higher pressures than standard fuel pumps, but you probably know that anyway :lol:

Post by monster7 »

I do, they are rated for 200 psi+ :)
SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

I have run my fuel line on the left side through the outrigger holes and the battery cable through the left side out rigger holes (battery is in boot on mine). I then routed the brake pipe for the rear up and over the tunnel and then along the underside of the floor between the main chassis tube and the trans tunnel.
Why not run fuel lines one on each side through the outriggers and move the brake line? Theres a lot of heat in the trans tunnel and running a fuel line through it might not be a good idea in a frontal impact.
Keith56
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by Keith56 »

I re-routed mine last winter and went to s/s braided teflon -6AN, one down each side in the 'triangles' between the main longitudinals and the diagonals so that the supply emerges just under the fuel rail inlet on the RHS and the return drops down directly from the reg on the LHS. Fuel pump is now in the boot under the spare wheel (with small spacer to protect the pipes) with a swirl pot located just in front of the spare wheel well. If I can figure out how to add photos I'll put a few up.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Keith,
Photos are a members privilege. Just click on the attachment tab below the white area where you type the message.

Post by monster7 »

Good evening,
my fuel lines on my FIA are routed as per manual, incl connection to the tank with this short piece of braided line in the trunk. Does anybody know what tread size the hollow screw is used for the connection to the tank? Manual doesn't say anything.
Thank you.
Ronald
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Ronald,

I'm not sure off hand what the size is, but if I were re-plumbing my fuel line, I would incorporate a fuel tap between the tank and pump so you can remove/replace the pump and filter without losing too much fuel.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)