Gerry's rear axle parts

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Gerry's rear axle parts

Post by peterc »

A motorbike lift sounds a good idea but I did manage with a trolley jack!
A 3 tonne unit with a large top plate which went through the opening in the bottom plate to cup the diff.
I think I probably used axle stands under each side as a precaution in case it wobbled.
Peter C
SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

JasonM wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:45 pm Hi Simon, Glad you got it sorted with Gerry. I’ve built up my jag IRS and it’s sitting in the garage ready to be fitted.
Bit of head scratching going on as not quite sure how I am going to lift up into position yet, might hire a motorbike lift to Jack it up under the car. Be interested how you get on.
I built mine up in situ. I Built the brakes up onto the diff, having shimmed the calipers, fitted it onto the top mount, and then bench pressed the assembly into the car, fitted the brake lines and bled calipers. I then fitted the shafts, arms, dampers and rear uprights seperately, leaving the disc/shaft bolts loose. One on the ground and settled, i shimmed up the camber and checked the toe in/out before fitting the correct locking nuts to the discs and shafts. Last job was to fit the bottom plate. Made for a pretty easy solo job.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

This is what I used. I thought it was expensive for a one off job, but I h ave used countless times since on various other jobs round the farm.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke- ... -atv-lift/

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

SiJackson wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:11 pm
JasonM wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:45 pm Hi Simon, Glad you got it sorted with Gerry. I’ve built up my jag IRS and it’s sitting in the garage ready to be fitted.
Bit of head scratching going on as not quite sure how I am going to lift up into position yet, might hire a motorbike lift to Jack it up under the car. Be interested how you get on.
I built mine up in situ. I Built the brakes up onto the diff, having shimmed the calipers, fitted it onto the top mount, and then bench pressed the assembly into the car, fitted the brake lines and bled calipers. I then fitted the shafts, arms, dampers and rear uprights seperately, leaving the disc/shaft bolts loose. One on the ground and settled, i shimmed up the camber and checked the toe in/out before fitting the correct locking nuts to the discs and shafts. Last job was to fit the bottom plate. Made for a pretty easy solo job.

That sounds like the best approach, I was considering leaving the driveshafts/lower arms off myself. Certainly safer than balancing the whole assembly and manoeuvring it into place as one.
Did you fit remote bleeders?
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

simonjrwinter wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:00 pm
SiJackson wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:11 pm

That sounds like the best approach, I was considering leaving the driveshafts/lower arms off myself. Certainly safer than balancing the whole assembly and manoeuvring it into place as one.
Did you fit remote bleeders?
Simon
No I didn't, there was enough room to get in without them. I also cut away a section of the heal board where the trans tunnel mounts and made a removable panel to make pad changes and bleeding easier in case I can get onto a ramp.
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

I also made a removable panel for pad changes but fitted remote bleeding as well. Its only a minor modification but makes bleeding so much easier.