rear shock absorbers

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: rear shock absorbers

Post by peterc »

My opinion is that lever arms can’t compete with a decent telescopic set up. But remember that the Hawk is already bracketed for the availability of telescopic. I think the important thing to remember is that Hawk will have had their supply tailored to suit the Hawk and not an MGB. That said the units are adjustable.
Using my fronts as an example they are only clicked up by 3-4 clicks.
I suggest you discuss with Gerry rather than buy an MGB conversion kit.
Peter C
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

Hi Peter
thanks for the reply. Excuse my ignorance, I didn't realise that Gerry supplied telescopic kit. i will contact him
thanks Stuart
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I swapped to Jag IRS with outboard brakes... Better still 8)
I had all 3 options, started with MGB, upgraded to Gaz adjustable dampers and then bit the bullet last year.
The Gaz dampers are adjustable as Peter suggests and were better than lever arms. I prefer a heavier damper setting.
Being brutally honest, there is a reason why cars today don't have leaf springs and lever dampers. The roads by me are rubbish, lots of single track roads with a severe crown and we have the main granite quarry used for road stone and the roads are probably the worst owing to heavy quarry traffic. Hence the reason why I wanted a slightly higher ride height and better controlled damping. Unfortunately I sold my old Gaz dampers recently (Gerry has these in stock normally). If you look on the chassis in front of the rear wheels there are protruding bosses on the inside and the Gaz dampers fit to these. They angle forwards slightly and pick up on the upturned plates that the drop links from the lever dampers mount to.
Hope that helps.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

Hi all
FYI Gerry kindly replied very quickly with following information

"We do 'tele conversion', later chassis have a 'tube' mounted in top corner of chassis rise to accept the top mounting bolt, does yours have this ? In front and above the lever arm mountings ? "

I don't remember seeing any bracket when i last looked but will have another look at the weekend before deciing which way to go. if anyone has any pictures of the bracket or even a the strut conversion installed this would be very helpful.

thanks Stuart
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I'm hoping this makes some sense. There is a round boss that is ca 30mm OD that sticks out ca 1 1/2 forward and up in front of the plate that the lever arm shocks mount to. I've got two Hawks in the shed at the moment one with IRS and one with Leafs and Gerry's shocks.
BTW. I've got a pair of lever arm shocks in the cupboard. If you need them make me an offer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

Hi Stu
thank you so much that is very helpful.

i am thinking that maybe I have an earlier chassis (c.2010) as i dont recall the boss and there is no plate on current levers but a nut & bolt in rear of lever and bolt into threaded chassis at the front of lever arm. i will hopefully have a look this weekend (I'm told patio grouting takes precedence!).

i see you have anti tramp bars fitted too, i currently dont have these, if i can fit struts i guess you would recommend? I will see if the strust are a possibility on my chassis before thining about your spare levers.

thanks again Stuart
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

My blue car is a 2009 chassis and has the bosses fitted. No problem with the levers, they are not in the way and I might need them myself in the future. I still have a complete Donor kit.
The tramp bars make some difference but not much. Unfortunately the springs still wind up with too much torque.

Post by ianm »

Stu,
If it helps this conversation my chassis is August 2001 and if I remember correctly it was the first to be bracketed for telescopic rear shock absorbers so chassis after that should have the brackets. I originally had Spax fitted but they were replaced with Gaz from Gerry which are fine for me. Hope this helps your search for the brackets.
JakeAustin

Post by JakeAustin »

Does anyone have any advice on the options for a 1997 chassis? I’ll give Gerry a call and seek some advice but looking to refresh all the suspension and bushes and was aiming to take the opportunity to fit telescopic dampers. But it sounds like it may not be possible?

Thanks in advance
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

I have had a really good look for this elusive boss/tube above And towards front of the lever arm Bracket for fixing top of gaz strut to but cannot see anything. These are the photos of what I have... perhaps I have an older chassis than I think ...or perhaps I’m being A bit stupid .... it could be either of those options ! Anyone have pictures of the top strut Mounting

Thanks Stuart
82063DF5-2BAE-4B64-9808-F474FCDF258F.jpeg
AB4A1FAF-75A8-4321-B8E1-69AA2D55E06D.jpeg
78E65E67-1CFA-49B5-868A-EC05093C87B6.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.