Fuel line longevity

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
simonjrwinter

Fuel line longevity

Post by simonjrwinter »

My car was built by the previous owner and IVA’d/registered in 2010. I’m not sure how relevant it is but it’s only done about 1,300 miles in total.
I’m guessing the fuel line (Hawk braided setup) was installed at the beginning of the build process meaning it could be 12+ years old.
I was just wondering how long I should leave it before I think about renewing it. High pressure flammable liquid plus a very hot engine is not always a good combination, so would rather err on the side of caution if “modern fuels” are eating away at it from the inside.....
Cheaper to replace the fuel line than the car.....

Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Fuel line longevity

Post by clive »

Mine has been fitted since 2006 and done almost 50,000 miles. I hadn't even thought of replacing it.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

E10 is coming - depends if Hawk supplied E safe line 12 years ago ?
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I fitted ethanol-friendly fuel line to my Cobra, stainless braid over PTFE if memory serves. Mark is right - E10 is on the way and whilst I've already had a perforated brass float in my fully-rebuilt Autolite four barrel, which produced a stumble that rapidly turned into an inability to run below 2000rpm followed by coasting to a halt with a dead engine and petrol pouring over the intake manifold, at least I'm reasonably confident that the fuel line will be OK. That episode provided me with another very good reason to the stick to the original mechanical fuel pump.
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

Roger
Did you manage to find any Nitrophyl floats for the 4100, if so where from ?

Ta
Mark
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Hi Mark,
After doing a load more reading I decided to stick with brass - can't remember why! I think there are reports of problems with Nitrophyl as well.
I get most of my parts from Mike's carburetor:

https://www.carburetor-parts.com/4100parts.html

Great for jets - the early 4100s used a different thread size to the more common later ones, and mine's an original '64 carb.

I did manage to get some Nitrophyl ones, which I'm holding as spares just in case. I think they came from smallbford:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Autolite-Motor ... 0686044369

I've got a feeling the Nitrophyl ones are made non-handed so can be used as primary or secondary, can't remember!
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

Roger

Thank you very much.
I have dealt with both of those guys before, I will shoot them enquiry mails.

I did not realise Nitrophyl also had issues. I am running a 4100 on my Rover, just looking to future proof.

Keep safe and enjoy what you can this year, will bump into you somewhere no doubt. Off to Snett tomorrow all being well.

Mark
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Apparently there are several reports around of nitro floats going porous and absorbing ethanol fuel, very slowly sinking, which might make it difficult to diagnose at first. At least with brass, the leak tends to be sudden and you know you have a problem. Obviously nitro ones aren't leaking as they're 'solid'.

Yes, lots of trips cancelled for this year. I've got a pile of ferry bookings slid up into October so I can move them again when next year's crossing dates are announced. My last hope of a tour, Minis to Monte in September, was pulled last week so that's us done for 2020! I have a couple of UK tours still happening in the UK, which will hopefully be OK - a one-day trip in the Cobra and a three-day one in the old Land Rover (don't ask). We'll see.

Hope to see you sometime next year at a nice, sunny meeting somewhere!

Roger
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

I've been working under my car and have found that the "Ethanol friendly" new fuel lines I fitted three years ago have all started cracking quite badly. I would highly recommend checking out the rubber hoses if mine are anything to go by.

Nige
DavidA
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidA »

Had a similar experience recently with fuel line failing after a short time - pre-ethanol it lasted over 20 years.
Definitely worth checking

DavidA