project insanity

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
agnoraan

Re: project insanity

Post by agnoraan »

dwoodwar wrote:
agnoraan wrote: If you ever decide to "go for it" let me know & I'll try to help :wink:

cheers...Nige
I might just take you up on that. If only I could be happy and stop spending money on the bl@@dy thing!
To do the actual bodywork wouldn't cost a great deal to be honest, it's the painting to match is where it starts to get expensive, as paint & materials are quite expensive :cry: Would you go for the hardtop too??

Just give me a shout if at any point you want to talk it through, if you PM me I'll give you my phone number.

cheers..Nige
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

I would settle for more heavily set wheels and arches though the repaint is the main deterrent at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but I'm always looking for something to change, as others will confirm :(

Anyway, enough of this. This thread is about your build. Keep up the good work. Its a fascinating read :)
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Saw this on "The Dark Side" Very interesting though! :P

How To Make a Cobra Fender in 11 Minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StfUTI9peD8
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

clive wrote:...How To Make a Cobra Fender in 11 Minutes...
Ouch... what an awkward looking height to work at, I really don`t like the bit at 10:30 when the sheet gets a bit loose and he`s got it under his armpit & across his chest. Health & Safety officer says "NO!"
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Wuss.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Had a little bit of time today waiting for dinner , so I thought I'd tackle the drivers side arch. It was pretty much a repeat of the passengers side, so was quite straightforward. I took measurements from the n/s & transposed them to the o/s. The arch was then trimmed to match the opposite side. Surprisingly, when I offered up the steel arch I'd made for the passenger side, once turned around it fitted almost perfectly, so it would seem that both front fibreglass arches are pretty much the same profile...result!! :D .

Here's a couple of photos with the outer arch very loosely fitted to the wing. Once it's time to glass up the inside, it'll all be fitting correctly & will be well supported on the outside

cheers...Nige
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

catsx11 wrote:Good stuff Nige!
You'll be ridding the plinths to the indicators, no doubt.
Basic question though…what do you use to cut the fibre glass and what for the steel/aluminium?
Is there a good (cheap) one-tool-does-all (Dremel or something) - for occasional use? Rotary or saw action?
Hi Alan, Mmmmm, good question, as I can be a bit on the lazy side, I try & avoid hard work wherever possible & tend to use power tools quite a bit. Having been doing this sort of stuff for over 40 years now, I've become a bit of a dab hand at trying to make things easy. I used a 4" angle grinder with a 1mm thick cutting disc, set on a low speed to trim the fibreglass. I also used the same principle for cutting out the metal shapes for the front valance. I tend to cut them just slightly over size & then use a flap wheel on the grinder to take the edges down to the "cut line". In doing it this way, I was able to cut out all of the shapes for the valance, including the vent/scoop in under 15 minutes. If you were to use snips it would take a lot longer, & be more dfifficult in trying to avoid distorting the panel you're cutting. I did use a 3" hole saw in a drill to cut the holes in the front valance though.

To cut out the steel arch lips, I used an air shears. It's basically like a pair of scissors powered by air that can cut out various shapes without distorting the metal. Most of the time is in the planning stages & I tend to mentally work my way through things before I go anywhere near the car. Once everything is planned out, it's just a matter of following "your" procedure to do things. The actual planning might take longer than doing the job. To do the front valance to the point where it is in the photos took me just under 3 hours start to finish, spread over a few days. The wheelarches took me 15 minutes per side. It probably took me longer to set up the tools & tidy up afterwards than to do the actual job :lol: :lol:

I really enjoy doing this sort of thing & I'm constantly planning what I need to do & the easiest way to do it. Unfortunately, I tend to get a bit ahead of myself sometimes in the planning stages, as you have to be able to plan well ahead of where you are, to ensure that you don't do something that will cock up something further down the line, hence me asking about hardtops. As an example, I've figured out how to reduce the width of the rear end of the car to visually resemble the 289, but in doing so, it's unlikely that a standard hardtop will fit it snugly. No big deal though, as I can modify it to fit around the rear end of the car once it's modified. BUT, I needed to know how it was meant to be secured at the rear. Now I know it's secured by mounting points which are attached to the birdcage, I can make sure that I incorporate that into the birdcage fabrication, whilst making sure it all fits within the modified body correctly. I now need to find out how the split boot is hinged & latched, as again, that'll impact upon the fabrication of the birdcage further on down the line, along with fitting correctly with the hardtop :wink: .

Don't you just love a challenge...... :D

cheers...Nige
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Just to add to the list, my favourite bit of kit for fibreglass detaling, hole trimming and profiling etc. is an air die-grinder with a tungsten-carbide flame bit. Also essential for dressing welds in steel and ally, but goes through 'glass like a hot knife through butter.