BRA289 customized recreation

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Migge

Re: BRA289 customized recreation

Post by Migge »

Seat is ready to sit in. Need only to sew the cover for it.

Special customized BRA289
Migge

Post by Migge »

I hope, just hope to get not to wet in rain, but if the water hits the door massive it will get in all gaps of the aluminium doors and it will stay. Not very good for aluminium. So I sealed every gap with PU, even the very small ones where the aluminium is folded.

Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Mmmm...It looks very neat, but I'm not entirely sure that's a good idea. Time will of course tell, but I suspect all the vibration and movement will break the seal somewhere and water will get behind the PU and not be able to escape, causing more problems than if you hadn't sealed it. There aren't any closed cavities for the water to sit in, so I would have thought it better to leave these gaps open so that they can dry out quickly. I haven't sealed any of the gaps on mine and I've seen no signs of problems after 8 years so far.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

On the advice of Luke at Klassik Metall in Austria, (see post #3 below)

http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/top ... drip,check

I use 3M drip chek sealer

http://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/index. ... aeZAE.dpbs

...but only on the wired edges, as he suggests. Like Paul I don't want to seal the actual aluminium returns but will be using ACF50:

http://learchem.com/products/acf-50.html

- which as you can see is an aircraft industry product - in the areas you have sealed. It goes on as a fine mist from a spray gun at around 60psi and probably needs doing every couple of years depending on usage. Just spray it over everything, it's good for electrics too! I did'nt want to spoil the look of the bare ali inside (the spray is clear and very fine) with wax products, but will use Dinitrol underneath on the frame and floor panels. Be careful with PU - it's tougher than the ali if you want to remove it! We have used PU alone to fix body panels on moderns, it's that strong.

Roger
Migge

Post by Migge »

Time will tell guys guys. Thanks anyway.
Migge

Post by Migge »

Not my pics and not very sharp and the colour seems a bit strange to the original one but pics. She is yellow now (with dust on it after 3 days at the paint shop). Next week she will get 2 layers of clear coat. So I can start to finish her next year :-)

Migge

Post by Migge »

Some more

Wish you all a Merry Christmas. No calenders this year. Had no time due illness. Not very serious, going better now, Thanks :)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

A very happy Christmas to you, too, Migge - and I hope you are soon back to full fitness. Looking forward to the '17 calendar already!

It's looking utterly fantastic, that's a really nice-looking finish. Clearly a good painting team. Isn't it just fabulous when all the patches, colour changes, holes etc. vanish under what looks like a covering of coloured liquid glass?

Great job!

Roger
Migge

Post by Migge »

Thanks Roger but I had only to inspect all labour before painting and was just helping a bit and telling my mate where to add or reduce some filler etc.

The whole car and all parts where painted white first to get an equal yellow coloring.
Phil Riley

Post by Phil Riley »

Is that Dupont Tinting Yellow?