Sourcing a ready built Ford V8 and T5 Transmission

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
iansutch

Sourcing a ready built Ford V8 and T5 Transmission

Post by iansutch »

Now that I am only a month or so away from taking delivery of the 289 kit and having got through most of the refurb work of the rear axle, steering rack etc I have decided to turn my attention to the engine and transmission.

My plan is for a pre 1992 302 block (.030" bored) producing approx 300ft lb of torque/300 bhp, with a new T5 transmission.

Does anyone have any do's and dont's in this area? I know I can save some money (I think) buying via the US but I would prefer a UK based option, unless there is a substantial price difference.

So far I have spoken to Peter Knight (too expensive unfortunately) and Brian at Roadcraft in West Sussex. Does anyone have any other recommendations?
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Sourcing a ready built Ford V8 and T5 Transmission

Post by StewbieC »

Could talk to Real Steel.
Don't know if Mike Huddart in Crewe is still doing his thing?
Hth

Post by iansutch »

Thanks Stu, I will give Real Steel a try but get the impression they arent the most helpful bunch? Did you get your V8 from them?
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Peter Knight is the way to go. Might be a wee bit more expensive, but in my opinion the way to go.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Well, these are really simple engines so why not diy? Saves an awful lot of money and gives added satisfaction. A complete 302 shouldn't cost much, simple to strip, machine shop for the chemiclean, bore, cam bearings, crank grind and balance, then it's just you and about 3 or 4 different sockets and a piston ring compressor. Unless you're very fussy about originality, far and away the best option for heads is something like Edelbrock aluminium heads which come fully built-up, just bolt 'em on!
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I wanted a 289 so ended up going stateside.
Simon at Real Steel is helpful, buy a gold card which gives you a 10% saving (worthwhile if you buy quite a bit.i'm sure they do a 302 pre 86 crate with 330 hp for 3.8k + vat
If you can get the lot (including gear box) for less than 8k you are doing well!

Post by iansutch »

Roger King wrote:Well, these are really simple engines so why not diy? Saves an awful lot of money and gives added satisfaction. A complete 302 shouldn't cost much, simple to strip, machine shop for the chemiclean, bore, cam bearings, crank grind and balance, then it's just you and about 3 or 4 different sockets and a piston ring compressor. Unless you're very fussy about originality, far and away the best option for heads is something like Edelbrock aluminium heads which come fully built-up, just bolt 'em on!
Roger - I would consider doing this but am concerned about the quality of the end product and time consumed in doing it. How many hours would you think it would take a first timer to do it? Is it the sort of engine a first timer could get his hands dirty on without too much strife?
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I would say so. As Roger has already said, they aren't complex engines and there are plenty of DIY books available that will take you through the build step by step.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

It's difficult to do any damage to anything on one of these. They are basically a Morris Minor engine with another bank of cylinders - no, simpler, there's no timing chain tensioner! The trickiest bit by far is deciding what parts to use from the huge choice of aftermarket bits available for the small-block Windsor. An easy route would be to use a typical set of matched parts, such as an Edelbrock fast road cam with Edelbrock heads, intake and carb. This would give you more than adequate power with few decisions to make. And, frankly, if you're going to have an engine built by someone else you still have to make those decisions anyway. I would be wary of going to a professional race engine builder, unless you are genuinely going racing, not just looking for spirited performance. Race engine builders will build you an engine that is intended to run most of its life at max revs and which will get torn down 3-4 times a year, or more. You do not want one of these in a road car!!!
I would very strongly suggest getting a copy of Tom Monro's 'How to build a small block Ford' book, old but still very relevant. It is absolutely excellent and talks you through all the stages of strip down and rebuilding - there is really no better book. There are others, but trust me this one is the best for your purposes. A read of that (it's not big, and not expensive) will give you a real taste of what's involved. It's the book I used for my first Tiger engine rebuild (260) in 1980.
At the end of the day, you will have spent less money, have the satisfaction of having done it yourself, and above all you will have learned a lot more about what goes on inside an engine.
You'll need a torque wrench, a decent set of Imperial sockets and combination spanners, a piston ring compressor, a few scrapers and screwdrivers etc. and a few other odds and sods. Any setup gear, like timing lights and maybe a rolling road session, you will need however you source an engine. If a builder supplies an engine that's been dyno'd, you'll still need to do it again once it's in your car as the loads, useable rev range, fuel (if it's built in the US) etc. will not have been taken into account.
iansutch

Post by iansutch »

ah Roger - you have now given me an itch that I may have to scratch!

I have a great dvd on how to rebuild a ford v8 by a company called Boxwrench, so will have to review that again. Will also order the book.

From what you are saying then sourcing a short block would be the way to go? I assume 302 blocks will be cheaper than the 289 and much cheaper than the 289 hipo and are capable of a greater power output per £ spent?
I will have to do some research on this and whether its a bit too risky buying privately given my lack of experience and whether buying from real steel might be a safer way to go.
All advice welcome on this.