Project Sanity

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
agnoraan

Re: Project Sanity

Post by agnoraan »

Mmmm, that's a very good question, and the final spec, or stage one is pretty much decided. For IVA purposes the car will retain its MGB suspension, though this might well get changed out later to independant rear with a tubular front end. The engine is a worked on 4.0 ltr John Eales (JE Motorsports ) lump, and again this could well be swapped out in the future to a 302 Ford and trans ( A friend of mine has a spare one sitting on an engine stand as I write this). The aim is to get it finished and on the road for Silverstone. As it stands, the chassis is fully built and we're waiting for confirmation as to whether Gerry can supply wheels or not. Other than that it's ready for the engine and trans to be fitted. Once that's in it's just make the exhaust system and it's ready for the body.

As with my Viper, it's going to be a race inspired car with styling cues from various cars. The aim is to make it look as if it's just come off a race track, in period. Wheels will be FIA's with 245's and 295 Avons, the body will look absolutely nothing like a Hawk as the front arches will resemble GPG4C, as will the cut outs in the rear 1/4 panels, but the rear cutouts will follow the lines of the car a little better. The front end treatment will be similar to my Viper, with the ali brake ducts and oil cooler "letterbox". It'll run a hardtop with a "Gurney bulge" to cover the roll bar/cage, but it will flow fairly smoothly into the roof and hopefully not look like an after thought. The interior will be fully paneled in aluminium and left raw.( This could turn into a competition to see if it has more alumnium than Migges car :lol: :P ) The bonnet will probably be single skinned with a 3/4" tube frame, I'm just trying to find someone local that can bend the tubing to the right profile as I don't have a tube bender capable of bending it at the moment. If I have time, I might make some tube framed doors as well.

So, that's the basic outline of how it's going to be, I'm really looking forward to getting this done :D

Watch this space for build info and pics :wink:
Nige
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi Nige,
We will obviously be looking forward to seeing it at Silverstone even if it's only at mk1 stage.
Peter C
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Thanks Peter, we had the chance to push the chassis outside today, not too sure about the position of the steering wheel though :lol: Owains been sorting out issues with the remote for the gearbox today, so we're now ready to paint and detail the engine and hopefully get it fitted on the weekend. :D

Nige
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

The seats straddle the main rails on both sides so you'd struggle to drop the floor. You could thin the floor section and might gain 1/2 inch or so. That has been done.

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Not the time to be modifying the chassis outriggers when the brake and fuel lines are now fitted.
Nige I see your fuel line is all braided, so suggest you check you have a certificate to prove its suitable for ethanol. I believe this is needed for the IVA.
Andrew queried this with me this week as he can't locate any paperwork for his.
Ref the steering wheel position this must be the start of a cab forward design so could become a 4 seater!
Peter C
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

I've been meaning to ask Gerry about the fuel line in his kit since it has no markings on it to say it is rated for Ethanol.

Nige - if you have time, could you send me some photos of where you attached the handbrake cable? PeterC kindly had me over the other day to eyeball various aspects of his car, but he has Jag rear, and mine's MGB like yours. (Sorry for hijacking your thread!)

Andy
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi Nige
Having heard some of your plans for Owains car I will continue to monitor the posts on your build with interest. I'm sure it will inspire us all.
Peter C
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Hi Andy, I'll take some photos and email them to you, is there anything in particular you want to see??

Mmm, so what's going on here then :wink:

Nige