Another 427

General Cobra & Ace topics
monster7

Re: Another 427

Post by monster7 »

DaleB wrote:Found this doing a quick search ...

In a 10w-40 for example the 10w bit (W = winter, not weight or watt or anything else for that matter) simply means that the oil must have a certain maximum viscosity/flow at low temperature. The lower the "W" number the better the oil's cold temperature/cold start performance.

The 40 in a 10w-40 simply means that the oil must fall within certain viscosity limits at 100°C.
Thats what i ment. Thereof 10wxy is the better oil than 20wxy in my opinion.
Kind regards, Ronald
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Absolutely no need at all for ZDDP additive with a roller cam. You have no lifter bases to protect.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Roger King wrote: The pros send a sample away for analysis after the break-in and first oil change, but I've not quite gone that far.
Millers provide an oil analysis service.

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/services/oil-analysis
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Tapped

Post by Tapped »

I'm using Valvoline VR1 20W50. Primarily because that's what the Crendon's S.A 452 BBF ran for all its life until I bought it and it had evidently protected the engine very well

I don't think I need to be super concerned about extremes of temperature or revs..#3 has yet to see WOT on a straight in any gear never mind during a corner....and VR1 smells lovely too
Dale Bowman

Post by Dale Bowman »

Paul/s

Do you use the Motorsport FL-1-HP filters or have you strayed into aftermarket ones
There are 3 types of people in this world
Those who can count and those who cant

DB427SC #006, 427 SO, Toploader
1965 Daytona Coupe ~ Sold
Dale Bowman

Post by Dale Bowman »

Looks like I'll be coming to Silverstone in the Merc ... had a call from Dave saying VOSA cant do the car until 8th Aug :cry: ..... 20 months :shock:

Dale Bowman

Post by Dale Bowman »

20 months since placing order

Marsh

Post by Marsh »

...and my IVA is 22 August, so if the gods are shining down on me, I might yet be attending The Revival in a Cobra, albeit probably unpainted...
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
db replicas

Post by db replicas »

Paul Blore wrote:That's a real shame Dale. I don't understand the "20 months" comment.

Can't Dave try a different test centre?

Paul
Always "Better the Devil you know".
Every examiner has a different interpretation of the inspection manual. It's a nightmare.
However, the location of the test station is the least of the problems.... Because I am a "Professional" and the engine has not come from a UK registered donor vehicle, I must submit the car for test as "Low Volume". and for reasons that are beyond me the LV test is a 2 hour test.... This is not enough time for what is in essence a kit car, which would in any other circumstance be allocated a 4 hour test.
After about a week on the phone and emailing VOSA the powers that be will not/cannot allocate me a 4 hour test.
So what happens is that if another car turns up for a test, 2 hours after the start of mine they cancel the rest of my test and start the other vehicle.
I then have to come home, call VOSA and book another appointment to get the rest of the test done.
Feckin' ridiculous!
This situation have become more of a problem as VOSA are having an efficiency drive, and all bookings are now dealt with centrally by people who have no clue what actually goes into the test.
Last edited by db replicas on Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Not sure if any of you have following the sale of another DB427 on Ebay, registered 7TXF. Another T289 member, Martin Duffield-Smith alerted me to it (thanks Martin).

The car was apparently sold for £59.950, which seemed incredibly low for this type of car (the last one to hit the open market was advertised for £99,950) by Sovereign Cars. I know the values of these cars all too well and that's way too low a valuation.

This one has now resurfaced on the site for £89.950, but is still apparently sold, so I'm not really sure what is actually being advertised on the site, but the sold price has jumped up by £30k. The seller on both occasions is St Andrews Auto's based in Chelmsford.

Anyone know the car, or the circumstances around its' sale?

L
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim