Well, that didn't fit

General Cobra & Ace topics
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agnoraan

Re: Well, that didn't fit

Post by agnoraan »

Thanks Alan, I did think about lining it with something to hide the fibreglass finish, but nothing really appealed to me. I might rue the day that I decided not to soundproof it, but I'll try it in a painted finish first and see how that goes :) Mind you, I'm beginning to question my sanity for doing this, as I've been just over three hours so far and I've only finished one half of the repairs to the inside of the roof. :lol:

cheers...Nige
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

:shock: Soundproofing in a Cobra???
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Maxakarudy

Post by Maxakarudy »

Hi Nige,
Very nicely detailed explanation of how you tackle a very complicated and skilfull task and make it look so straight forward, the sign of a good craftsmen that knows his stuff, well done.
With regard to the inside and smoothing off, it is a lot of work, alternatively you can get foam backed headlining material that would contour to the shape with contact adhesive, looks nice, light weight and tactile, just my 2c.

Martin
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Maxakarudy wrote:Hi Nige,

With regard to the inside and smoothing off, it is a lot of work, alternatively you can get foam backed headlining material that would contour to the shape with contact adhesive, looks nice, light weight and tactile, just my 2c.

Martin
Hi Martin, thanks for the suggestion, but I really didn't fancy a headlining, for some obscure reason I had it in my head that it should be painted. All I can say is that that's a day of my life I won't get back. I've nearly 7 hours invested in smoothing everything on the inside and thankfully it's almost ready for primer now. There are just a few more small bits I'm not 100% happy with to finish off first though. The dark patches are the original fibreglass which were the highest points on the roof, so everything else has been brought up to that level. I did sand those high points down a bit, but didn't want to go too crazy as it might get too thin

cheers..Nige
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Once happy with the inside of the roof, I turned my attention to the front end. Why is it that nothing is ever straight forward?? I had decided to fit a full width hood bow to the inside of the roof to fit over the screen. Then the next problem reared its head. When fitted to the roof, it became apparent that the roofs leading edge had a dip in it and didn't follow the line of the screen. I can only assume that this is because the screen isn't raked back as far as a Hawk.

To overcome this I've had to mask out the screen frame and fibreglass a new leading edge to the roof.

This was then trimmed to give it a decent profile to the screen

Once happy the roof was repaired and primered

The inside of the roof was primed and painted with an aluminium paint

I had initially set up the gap between the roof and the body using 3mm foam seals. I thought it might be better to use 6mm for added security against scratching the bodywork. I fitted some to the roof, but it now seems too wide a gap between the two panels. Having looked at pictures of other Le Mans hardtops, they all seem to have quite big gaps, so maybe I should leave it as is with the 6mm

The next day the topside had a few coats of basecoat and lacquer

I'll flat the roof down tomorrow and then I can spray on the stripes and fit the screen. Nearly there ..... :)

cheers...NIge
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

+1 on the silvered inside...Oh god, another job on my list now... Thanks Pal! :twisted:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Maxakarudy

Post by Maxakarudy »

Looks really sweet Nige, inside and out :D
I know you are a professional, but I'm wondering how you get pro results from a domestic supply compressor 14cfm max, they run out of puff after a minute or to with a pro spray gun and they don't like to run constantly, unless it's a Hydrovane, so what set up do you use?
Martin