Well, that didn't fit

General Cobra & Ace topics
agnoraan

Re: Well, that didn't fit

Post by agnoraan »

StewbieC wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:40 pm Hey Nige. Hope all is good. Let me know if you want to get any more valve covers made. My spare 289 for the planned GT might need some 😎
Hiya Stu, I hadn't planned on making any more, but might be able to when you're ready 😉
Cheers Nige
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

I’m pretty sure they’re available from Tornado sports cars......
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

simonjrwinter wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:03 am I’m pretty sure they’re available from Tornado sports cars......
Hi Simon, Tornado used to make them, but now they only make the "Gurney Eagle" covers not the Gurney Weslake. When I spoke to them they said that there was no demand for them, and as such, didn't intend to make any more
. After an awful lot of searching, I managed to find one, and then again after a lot of searching, I found someone that would cast them for me, as it worked out cheaper the the $800 being asked for them in the USA.
Cheers...Nige
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Nige, you’re right! I posted that after just reading Gurney.....
😜
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Nige
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

I felt it was time for an upgrade on the suspension and brakes on the car. It was all looking a bit tired for itself, so I took the decision to dismantle it all and give it all a new lease of life. All of the suspension has been stripped, bare metaled and all of the rust has been removed. This has now been painted grey and is ready to reassemble. All of bearings are being changed as are the rubber bushes, which are being replaced with eurethane, the front suspension mounting points have been slightly modified to enable the suspension to have 3 degrees negative camber. The front vented brake discs are new, as are the rears, the calipers have been rebuilt and some race pads are going to be fitted, and a Wilwood brake bias valve has been added, offering adjustability. The whole suspension is going to get a check over with the correct poundage springs front and rear fitted once the wheel rates have been worked out. The rear drive shafts and bottom arms are being replaced with slightly longer ones to place the rear wheels correctly in the rear arches, as I felt the tyres were tucked in a bit too far. I'm hoping to do some sprints and hillclimbs with the car a some point, so it's being given a bit of a "race set up" to give it a half a chance at being competitive

Looking decidedly tired and rusty

paint and rust removed

NIge
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Looking good!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi Nige, looks like you have been rather busy.
Renewed suspension ready for the big power increase. Sounds good.
I think you might find the car tramlines a fair bit with 3 degrees of negative. I have used 1.5 neg to useful affect before but would expect over 2 to be a hand full. Good for tighter bends but not so good on normal roads.
Peter C.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Hi Pete, I had three deg negative on my '69 Camaro and it handled like it was on rails. Considering people say Yanks don't handle, the Camaro was light years ahead of other cars in the handling department. It had a lot done to it and was nowhere near stock, as my friend that races in the HSCC series set it all up for me, along with 1500lb front springs, bigger anti roll bar, toe in and camber on the rear axle etc etc. He's doing a similar set up on the Cobra for me, and said it would outperform most people capabilities :-).
Nige
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Still waiting for some parts before I can get the front suspension back in the car, so thought I'd make a start on the rear end. The rear valance curved upwards not downwards as it should, and this has been bothering me now for some time, so I figured lets get the valance done instead.
Ages ago I laid some fibreglass over the rear valance of my Sebring to get the basic curve needed. As this was a one off, it didn't really make sense to make a mould as I'd need to fill the join anyway. The valance was screwed into place and measured to make sure everything was where it should be

The rear valance was then cut away. Two layers of fibreglass was then applied to the car and the valance screwed into place. The two layers of fibreglass will bond the valance to the car

Once cured over night, the screws were removed and another two layers of fibreglass was laid over the top, thereby filling the holes and sandwiching the valance to the car, making it very strong

Once cured it was time to fill and shape it all. The area to the right of the boot never followed the boot profile, so I repaired that at the same time

All ready for primer now.

I've also had a pair of Spiyda L542 LED tail lights for ages, so I offered up one of the lenses to see how it would look.

To be honest, I can't say I'm a big fan of the look. I know it's original, but a good friend of mine, when I was doing something to the car because it would make it look a bit more original said " Nigel, tell me, which part of your car is original" which I couldn't answer as my car is miles away from looking original. Having thought about this for some time, I've decided to keep the round L488 lights as I really like them aesthetically. If you look at the first photo, you'll see the lights are mounted on flat plinths, both of which were differing size and shape. I've now reshaped that so the plinths have gone, and the tail lights now sit on a much smaller surface.

The rear still needs a little fettling, but it's almost there now, next is to fit some coves into the rear 1/4 panels :-)

Nige