Tech Talk 6 - 5th January 2017

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Tech Talk 6 - 5th January 2017

Post by amulheirn »

After a few months interlude, this follows on from the fifth Tech Talk back in September. Call number 6 is on Thursday 5th Jan at 8pm. It is for is for people building cars, thinking about building one, modifying a car or just generally interested. The idea is to share knowledge and get encouragement from fellow car builders. Please feel free to join!

Proposed Agenda:

1. Introductions
  2. Updating the wiki (Andy)
  3. Round-table - what are you building, or what progress since the last call (All)
  4. Technical problems (All)

The call will be on Skype, which you can get for computers, phones and tablets here.
I recommend three things:

• A headset is a good idea
  • A headset with a microphone is an even better idea
  • A webcam is worthwhile, especially if you want to see what someone is showing via 'screen sharing'
  • Having photos of what you're talking about is very helpful

Once again - headsets are advisable - just one participant with feedback or background noise can make the audio bad for everyone. Contact me if you need advice on any of this. My email is wiki@the289register.com.

If you have pictures you want to share, you will be able to use the 'Share Screen' function in Skype to share them with the people in the call.

If you wish to be on this call, please send me your Skype ID, either by replying to this post, or directly via private message.
Paul Blore

Re: Tech Talk 6 - 5th January 2017

Post by Paul Blore »

Well done Andy, great job.

Paul
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Just a reminder to you all - the next tech talk is on Thursday. Let me know if you want to join....

Cheers,

Andy
John H
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by John H »

I'll be there Andy! Lots to catch up on. Cheers John
Built St Piran Hawk289FIA in Scotland!
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Attendees - JohnH, Paul Anderson, Andrew Mulheirn

Useful discussion tonight on the matter of IVA regulations, the registration process, getting period plates and so on.

John did his first 2 miles this weekend to test out brakes and steering. Had to make more adjustment to the rack ends to get camber right on the front wheels. Speedycables finally came up with the right cable for a T5 to Stewart Warner gauge, and at a good price too.

Paul is currently assembling a lot of parts in an effort to re-create genuine Ace dashboard instruments. This is going to need some special work from CAI or someone to put the right parts together. Andrew recommended talking to Roger King on the forum who has had modifications such as the 'telltale' light in the speedo made for him by CAI, but this was for high beam on a Cobra, not for ignition - see this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3026&p=25247&hilit=telltale#p25247

Andy has been working on all the engine-bay preparation before dropping the V8 into it. Reservoirs, battery tray, aluminium cladding, steering column and side-vents have been installed so far. Radiator next, then it is engine time. He had a problem with the dashboard top edge not coming up tight against the bodywork, but may implement a couple of small brackets behind and a flat-headed screw on the front to hold it. John H recommended relocating the fixing screws underneath to make it more upright. Unfortunately there is nothing in the Hawk build manual about this.

Meeting finished at 9:20pm.

Next meeting - Thursday 9th February