Well, that didn't fit

General Cobra & Ace topics
Roger King

Re: Well, that didn't fit

Post by Roger King »

Well, these are competition carbs, they were not fitted to road cars. As such they are designed to be used at high, if not full throttle - who cares how a racing car idles in traffic? Any fuel vapourisation, if any, that might happen with rapid airflow over and around the car will not have any noticeable effect on power delivery. Under serious use, fuel consumption must go up: eight squirters will pass a lot more than four, even allowing for size. And a four-barrel is progressive from primaries to secondaries. With Webers you get the lot at once, as is usually the requirement when racing.

Wonder if I could fit quad Webers to my 2CV van?
andyg
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by andyg »

Hi Nige
If you look at the pic, you will see how the fuel log is attached to the coolant neck. Two thin metal uprights. These cause heat to be transferred to the fuel log, although I am sure under bonnet heat does also have some effect.
I used the 44 IDF's as the larger and original spec 48 IDA's would not fit under the bonnet - not to mention that the 44's are meant to be more tunable and street friendly!
As for my car being the inspiration - glad to help - after all I am sure you would rather not be sitting around with nothing to do :shock:
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Roger King wrote:Well, these are competition carbs, they were not fitted to road cars. As such they are designed to be used at high, if not full throttle - who cares how a racing car idles in traffic? Any fuel vapourisation, if any, that might happen with rapid airflow over and around the car will not have any noticeable effect on power delivery. Under serious use, fuel consumption must go up: eight squirters will pass a lot more than four, even allowing for size. And a four-barrel is progressive from primaries to secondaries. With Webers you get the lot at once, as is usually the requirement when racing.

Wonder if I could fit quad Webers to my 2CV van?
Which carbs are you referring to Roger, Andy's or Nige's?

Paul
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Of course we must not forget that Andy runs a Ford 302? and Nige is running a 3.5 Rover.
Still interested in the outcome of fitting the Dellortos.
Peter C
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Well, I'm relatively pleased with the way the engine bay has turned out, it could be better, but that would entail taking the engine out, and at this point in time I really don't want to be doing that. Working around the engine and leaning over the wings for hours on end isn't a nice experience I can assure you. It's even harder trying to fabricate stuff and make it all fit in such confined spaces.

Almost every nut and bolt is now stainless (but not polished), all of the hoses have been replaced, the front upper crossmember changed to an "X", aluminium inner arches fabricated and the rest of the chassis cleaned and painted. All that's left now is to ditch the edelbrock breather cap, clean it all and fine detail it. Oh!! then in the New Year fit the quad downdraughts, Yay!! :lol:

Nige
Last edited by agnoraan on Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Looks like a very nice state to be in to finish the year. Engine bay all tidied up and really looking the business. Still not sure how you got in to do some of the work with the engine still in place. Well done.
Peter C
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

It's been a while since I posted any updates on the car, as I've been using it instead of cutting it up like I usually do. However, with the aluminium dash almost completed, it's come time to rectify some thing that has really irritated me since day one. The rear valance on the car is totally the wrong shape, as it not only curves upwards in the middle, but also curves inwards towards the boot. Although I really don't like the over riders and bars on the rear, I've kept them on there to hide the visual discrepancies of the rear end. Having come home from Silverstone, I'm now feeling the need to rectify this.

I've laid up some fibreglass on the rear valance of Owains FIA and this will become the new rear valance to fit on the car, giving a better shape. It's going to need cutting and shutting a little, but having offered it up to the car, it's not a million miles away from fitting. here's a few photos to be going on with

This shows the upwwards curve of the rear valance

This photo clearly shows the inwards curve

The new valance being laid up on the FIA

If I get time over the next few weeks, I might also sort out the rear tail lights as the plinths that they sit on irritate me and I'd like to fit the new Spyda L452 tail lights to it.

Nige
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Whilst working on the rear, I also felt that a few other changes wouldn't be out of place. I started by putting a black 1/4" pinstripe down the outside of the white stripes and I feel that it looks better like this.

However, whilst at Silverstone I got talking with Ollie Bryant with GPG4C, and looking closely at the car, I thought that it might be a good idea to alter the stripes on mine to match those on GPG. I've quickly run some lining tape around the nose of my car to see what it looks like. I'll leave it on there for a while to see if I like it, rather than make a spontaneous decision, and if after a week or so I'm still liking it, then I'll paint the nose section in white and stripe it.

here's a very crudely done image

To look something like this

Nige
Last edited by agnoraan on Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Yes, it looks a possibility and makes it different to the normal stripes but there’s only 12 days to Cranleigh!
Peter C
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

It's ok Peter, I'm going to be fitting this in around the Cranleigh show ;-)

Nige