Cobra rear lights LED conversion

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
simonjrwinter

Re: Cobra rear lights LED conversion

Post by simonjrwinter »

monster7 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:51 am I kept the original Lucas light with the bulp but added a bright yellow LED light from a scooter flasher in the lower part and separated the functions. Worked out perfect with highly visible orange turning light for more or less no costs :)
Would add a picture if i could...
To be honest, that sounds a pretty good solution. I suppose if the orange LED’s were small enough, the light would retain its reflective properties as well....
I must say though, the lamp holders on my original lights were awful. The bulb kept popping out!
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Why not put two flashing rear bicycle lights in the rear bumper !
andrewjw
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by andrewjw »

Or... if you have L539 indicator lamps like I have, you could put LED stop tail bulbs in the L542 units as on the original car. Mine were about £20 for the two, so less than a tenth of the cost. Still illegal of course, but brighter without being dazzling.
Andrew
monster7

Post by monster7 »

simonjrwinter wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:21 am
monster7 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:51 am I kept the original Lucas light with the bulp but added a bright yellow LED light from a scooter flasher in the lower part and separated the functions. Worked out perfect with highly visible orange turning light for more or less no costs :)
Would add a picture if i could...
To be honest, that sounds a pretty good solution. I suppose if the orange LED’s were small enough, the light would retain its reflective properties as well....
I must say though, the lamp holders on my original lights were awful. The bulb kept popping out!
Yes, it is like that :)
This is what to use: https://www.galiciaenmoto.com/wp-conten ... 888797.png
They fit perfectly in and the plastic chromed shell is very easy to remove to get to the bare LED board.
my bulps were also popping out, soldered a dot on top of the existing ones...so far, no problems.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Whilst I praise the ingenuity of the proposed alternatives being put forward having a hidden LED orange indicator bulb is only half the issue. The original rear/ brake light bulb even with a highly polished reflector is no comparison to the brightness of the LED rear / brake light.
The original bulb system is as about as effective as the old VW 6 volt lighting used to be.
Peter C
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

289 Baz wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:35 pm I was part of the R&D along with Paul so I do know where they come from. I still have one set of prototype lights fitted to my car, they have since gone through two upgrades I think, one was to supply complete lighting units, another was a modification to the main board. Only then did Spiyda release them for general sale.
I was at Stoneleigh today and spoke to Spyda about the history of these lamps and they stated that they recall things being a little different to the above statement.
Not my opinion only passing on what Spyda stated and wanted to square the circle on this one and offer a different point of view from those involved. Not planning on going in to more detail as it isn't relevant. If anyone wants to make anything more of this, maybe they should take it up with Spyda direct as I'm not interested.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Quote:”... I didn't design or make "my" lights, I simply provided the design brief for the manufacturer, but I'm very happy with the end result...”
CobraClub. I think that’s clear enough, end of conversation. 👍🏻
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

nikbj68 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:07 pm Quote:”... I didn't design or make "my" lights, I simply provided the design brief for the manufacturer, but I'm very happy with the end result...”
CobraClub. I think that’s clear enough, end of conversation. 👍🏻
👍
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I'm certain that one of our more 'senior' members designed and fitted LED rear lights to his 289 way back in the early 2000s.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)