Dash layout

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Dash layout

Post by peterc »

Simon are you not having an indicator stalk with horn button ( VW item)
That gives you a self cancelling facility rather than having to operate a switch on the dash.
As Stuart says it’s your car so you do what is good for you.
Personally I was aiming for authenticity and have since changed several switches to look as original as possible.
Best of luck with what ever you choose.
Moving anything even a switch after it’s all covered with leather ain’t easy!
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Many thanks Peter, I'll have a peek. I don't use the car as much in the dark nowadays, but the Speedo was always poorly lit and difficult to read.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Peter, no just a switch. No room behind my steering boss, it’s very close to the dash. I’m happy with its position so don’t want to move it. It’ll suit me but I’m sure if the car ever gets sold, the next owner will rip it all out!
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

peterc wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:13 am Clive and any others interested the LED bulbs can be found on the web at - bettercarlighting.co.uk
The company name appears to called The 4Sight Lighting Co. located in Broom, Warwickshire.
They were very accommodating and would have even been happy to take back my test of a green bulb.
I believe Bill Telford used green and as I had green dash lights on a previous car many many years ago I thought I would try it.
My eyesight has obviously changed over the years and the warm white was far better for me personally.
The bulb is 501 for the smiths style gauges. I paid £4.99 each.
If you have any queries after looking at the extensive web site just give them a ring they are clearly very knowledgeable.
Peter C
like these?
https://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk/ind ... ductId=471
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi Kevin,
Yes, they are the ones but there’s a big BUT.
Checking my invoices and my spares drawer I have two 501’s spare and an invoice for two type 233’s bayonet fitting.
Because of their long life I wouldn’t have ordered two spare so that must mean that two of the 8 instruments have the 233 type bulb.
I thought it might be that the small ancillary instruments were 501 type and the larger ones 233 however I have just checked my Tacho and that’s a 501 push in.
Sorry but you will need to check each instrument. Sounds like it could be just be circumstance that I have a mixture.
Hopefully you are just starting your build and the instruments are not yet fitted as changing them when they are in position ain’t easy.
Peter C
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

peterc wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:37 am Hi Kevin,
Yes, they are the ones but there’s a big BUT.
Checking my invoices and my spares drawer I have two 501’s spare and an invoice for two type 233’s bayonet fitting.
Because of their long life I wouldn’t have ordered two spare so that must mean that two of the 8 instruments have the 233 type bulb.
I thought it might be that the small ancillary instruments were 501 type and the larger ones 233 however I have just checked my Tacho and that’s a 501 push in.
Sorry but you will need to check each instrument. Sounds like it could be just be circumstance that I have a mixture.
Hopefully you are just starting your build and the instruments are not yet fitted as changing them when they are in position ain’t easy.
Peter C
- ah, thats useful.
My car is actually on the road and waking up the neighbours! But dash is due to be pulled out at Christmas to make the switches into a more authentic layout. Kevin
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

The are of course differing opinions on exactly where each switch should be as the car changed over the years plus owners did what they wanted.
My main problem was getting a rotary action wiper switch. I used a TR item and modified it to loose the washer portion. Knobs are available on Ebay from Ashley Hinton MG Parts. I did have to have one of them engraved by the local key shop but I can’t remember which one now.
Best of luck.
Peter C
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Thanks peter - I do indeed have the 2 fluted knobs for wiper and lights, but haven't braved the wipers switch issue yet.
I do have a complete authentic Trigo washer system though ;)
Some years ago I ran a group buy on the other site, on these knobs and imported them from SPF in the US before Ashley was about - a total faff, not to be repeated, esp now these are so easily available now.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Ok, not everyone’s cup of tea I understand, but it suits me ( and I have a spare dash in case I sell the car in the future and the new owner wants the traditional layout)
But dash now finished and covered ready for the car to come back.
Simon
53DE08B9-30E4-4992-870D-00F93DA1901F.jpeg
FF362BD6-D8E1-4AE6-9B16-92B049E56444.jpeg
397A7555-30A0-42FF-8FB0-5124970C5CE5.jpeg
00C5700B-CC2B-4479-AA11-C67CB4C394F3.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Suggest that switches needing more often and quick operation should be closer to the steering and those less important further away. Driving in the dark you will need to know where your hand is aiming for.
Is that a heated seat button I see?
Peter C