Registering a uk car in France

289, FIA & Daytona topics
bdmorris

Registering a uk car in France

Post by bdmorris »

I’ve been in conversation with a French man who was interested in buying my cobra (correctly registered as a BRA in 1971 from the donor car). He now says he cannot register it in France and I can’t quite understand why not. ( his English is not that good) Does anyone have any experience of this?
Ferngar

Re: Registering a uk car in France

Post by Ferngar »

I know (vaguely) somebody in France who has registered 2 Ginettas over the past couple of years.
His name is Terry Piner and he run's a company called www.frenchruralcottages.com I am pretty sure he would be happy to help.
The phone number is at the bottom of his webpage.
Good luck.
bdmorris

Post by bdmorris »

Thanks for that I’ll try that link - though I feel that the Certificate of Conformity maybe involved and that is the problem?
kdavies3

Post by kdavies3 »

I know that a friend of mine that now lives in France managed to register his Pilgrim Cobra in France eventually but I know it wasn't easy.
It took him a couple of years.
Kev Davies
DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600. SOLD
Dax De Dion LS2 and T56. SOLD
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
In build Hawk 289 (302) Sebring. Awaiting IVA:D
monster7

Post by monster7 »

What ive seen the last years is, that the registration date have to make sense in relation to the company providing/ building the kit car; the registration date based on the donor car is quite unique to UK and often THE hurdle in other countries.
Frank289
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Frank289 »

Best is to inform here: http://www.clubcobrafrance.fr/acheter-u ... en-france/ very kind people, im sure they will answer your question.
au revoir
Jerryedmans
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Jerryedmans »

I sold my last Hawk to nice chap from France - Jean Jacques - who was very clear on the correct registration requirements for export to France. I don't have contact details anymore but may still be a member? And may be able to advise? Good luck. Jerry
What else

Post by What else »

Hello,
I am a froggie and I own a Proteuc C Type and recently a 289 Hawk I purchased , already French registered, from Eric Fournier. I know very well the problem. It is now IMPOSSIBLE to register a replica ot kit car in France!
Why? because the French in the past few years have very strongly thightened the rules on importing cars, all cars. The basic point is that you need a manufacture's document mentioning clearly that the car was regularly imported AND properly registered at some time in France. You can for example get the documents for a basic Ford Mustang but not a model with a big block never imported regularly in France. Same thing for recent Chevrolet huge pick ups, same thing for a London Cab! I know people who imported those kind of vehicles, paint the duties ( no problem) and have in their garage a car that they cannot use or resale in France and lost ist value ( in France)
The only issue is to check the small adds regularly and buy a 289 already imported in France a while ago and has the proper "carte grise " (car title) Of course the price shan't be the same, see more around 65000, 70000 euros.
Sorry for those bad news but this is the situation. There are corrently 2 or 3 289 in France for sale, among them a nice BRA with Rover engine in the Lyon area at the reasonable price, around 42000 euros. Sheers. JF