VE Day / Goodwood Revival?

Other topics
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

VE Day / Goodwood Revival?

Post by KevinW »

https://www.goodwood.com/grr/event-cove ... QO,QUEGJ,1

My grandparents generation suffered, fought and won against the tyranny of Fascism. My grandfather was there at the liberation of Belsan.
I am extremely proud of what they did for this country and the wider world.
I'm not a pacifist....but ... people who weren't even born then dancing for joy in 2020 because 'Germany capitulates' ???

May be I am over-sensitive, but the sound of this makes me feel uncomfortable - I think I'll stay away.
simonjrwinter

Re: VE Day / Goodwood Revival?

Post by simonjrwinter »

Really? The end of the 2nd world war makes you feel uncomfortable?
Cause for celebration and a chance to keep the memory of those who fought and died for the freedom we all enjoy today. The younger generation are keeping their sacrifice in the public eye. A good thing as far as I’m concerned.
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

No, the end of WW2 does not make me feel uncomfortable - that would be ridiculous - see the first 3 lines of OP.
I absolutely hold dear the freedoms we enjoy today for the sacrifices made by others, then and post-1945 - its why I am a British Legion donor.

But the end of the war, 75 years on, is a cause for commemoration - for exactly those things you have cited - not, I think, cause for a party
at an international motoring event, celebrating the '40s,'50s and' 60s, where the seriousness of wartime sacrifice is set to one side.

I'm fine with national pride, as proud as the next man,....but I think 75 years, the tone of this is rather tasteless.
I suspect we'll have to agree to disagree.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Hmmm, maybe.
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.