Car tales

Other topics
simonjrwinter

Car tales

Post by simonjrwinter »

In these difficult times, how about we tell some stories?
I’m always interested to hear about how people built or came to own their car, anyone else?
I’d be happy to start it off if it’s of any interest to other forum members?
Let me know and if it is, I’ll try and post something before the day is out.....

Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Car tales

Post by KevinW »

Great idea.....
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Do car incidents fit the bill? I had a B-reg landy when I was in my 20s, whose bonnet came open on the M4 at 70mph. It flapped up against the windscreen, which was quite tricky. I managed briefly to look through the gap near the hinge before winding down the window and sticking my head out to see better. At that point, it became detached from the two hinges, and retained only by the bonnet stay, flapped round the side and tried to take my head off. Needless to say, this was a 'brown trouser' experience.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Ye gods!
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Ye gods indeed a landy doing 70!!!!

I went past a camera in my 2a Diesel in a 50 zone and smiled and waved at the copper who burst out laughing with his WPC buddy 8)
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

amulheirn wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:40 am Do car incidents fit the bill? I had a B-reg landy when I was in my 20s, whose bonnet came open on the M4 at 70mph. It flapped up against the windscreen, which was quite tricky. I managed briefly to look through the gap near the hinge before winding down the window and sticking my head out to see better. At that point, it became detached from the two hinges, and retained only by the bonnet stay, flapped round the side and tried to take my head off. Needless to say, this was a 'brown trouser' experience.
When I read this I thought "Wind-down widows on a B-Reg Landy?" and then I realised that my perception of a B-Reg is 1964 where as yours is probably 1984. I guess it's an age thing. :shock:
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Oh yes - B was the first year of the defender, so it had some series 3 aspects, but a more modern look. Not sure the bonnet was a good feature!

That car vibrated quite a lot at exactly 68mph but if you pushed through to what seemed to be top speed of 71 it was fine.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Yes Clive, these youngsters don’t realise we started driving before the reg had letters indicating the age of the vehicle.
Just realised that statement is scary. I have been driving for over 52 years.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I agree Peter, although perhaps you beat me slightly with the number of years driving. I first regularly (although not legally!) drove a car on the road when I was about 14, taking my Granddad to and from work on a Saturday. Those were the days when you knew the local bobby and he didn't have a car, just a bike, and if you were caught you got a clip round the ear and told not to do it again.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)