rear shock absorbers

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
ianm

Re: rear shock absorbers

Post by ianm »

Stuart,

I imagine the bolt hole is in much the same place as your lever arm unit mount. According to my manual of the time Gerry was offering a conversion bracket that used the same mount as the lever arm unit so the bolt hole in 2001 and later chassis is possibly obscured by any lever arm unit. I am sure Gerry will confirm the date of your chassis number and may even still have the option of his conversion bracket if necessary which would then allow you any choice whatever age your chassis. Please let me know if you still need a photo and I will get you one when I can get the car out.
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

Hi Ian
Gerry has sent me a picture attached and I am not going mad I definitely don’t have this tube.
Think I’ll just get arms overhauled, thanks for everyone’s help
Stuart
F45F4905-9A79-446B-B044-360E9FF0C568.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ianm

Post by ianm »

Stuart,
If you have the 17 digit chassis number then the 11th to 14th digits are the year and month. mine are 0108, 2001 August. This might complete your puzzle and explain the missing bolt hole if yours is earlier.
Hope you finished the grouting.

Ian
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

Hi

I should have looked before

Chassis number is STSLHAWKC01001281, I think this means it was made in 2010 month 01, registered August 2011.

Strange it doesnt have the tubes then
Stuart
ianm

Post by ianm »

Stuart,

As you say, strange. If you are sticking with the lever arms then maybe it does not matter but I am sure Gerry can help you sort the mystery.
If you find an explanation please post it.

Ian
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

Hi Gerry has replied saying my chassis is October 2001 number 281 so was 10 years before registered! Guess it explains missing tubes
Stuart
frats289

Post by frats289 »

Stuart

I have Gerry's telescopics on mine, presume they are the same as the Moss conversion. Having had a gut full of A35 and Frogeye Sprite rebuilt lever arms, which failed after a few miles, I opted for a change. Simple conversion and I have them set quite soft - no probs with ride and you can wind 'em up for a track day.
The only way to deal with lateral movement is with a Panhard rod.
Did you know that a 250 GTO has a live back axle!...

Frank
frats289

Post by frats289 »

Stuart

Chassis no. 94014 and I have 37.5mm spacers under the springs to the mounting plates for the shockers as I used to 'crash out' under full compression.

have fun

Frank
JakeAustin

Post by JakeAustin »

Hi Stuart

I have also contacted Gerry regarding the telescopic dampers. My car is an early chassis aswell and therefore requires the separate brackets. I’d be keen to know what you decide to do.

Jake
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

Hi Jake
My lever arms are currently being rebuilt at Stevsons in Birmingham. Apparently he is only one who uses Armstrong proper seals etc and is offering a 2 year guarantee. Hopefully put them back on this week with new drop links and see how it goes. I would've interested to see what Gerry says re conversion bracket... This wasn't an option he offered me but then I didn't ask after finding out I don't have the tubes.

Whilst off the road I took opportunity to fit some new leather Cobra SS seats. What a pain that was trying to find locations for bolts through the floor that avoided chassis rails, fuel lines, handbrake mechanism etc. I think if I was doing it again it might have been quicker to remove the exhaust.
Regards Stuart