289 Front Nudge Bar

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Colin Newbold

Re: 289 Front Nudge Bar

Post by Colin Newbold »

Roger King wrote:An original Cobra, with its first lucky owner, and lower tube that looks, well, kinda straight to me...

He never owned that car Roger! It was loaned to him. Shelby was way ahead of his time (and the field) when it came to product placement!!!

Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Nowhere near needing a nudge bar myself, but watching this thread with interest.

Maybe one of these (probably very expensive machines) would help! https://youtu.be/gVqX4VMocwo
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

OCD wrote:
Roger King wrote:An original Cobra, with its first lucky owner, and lower tube that looks, well, kinda straight to me...

He never owned that car Roger! It was loaned to him. Shelby was way ahead of his time (and the field) when it came to product placement!!!

Colin
Still got a straight nudge bar, though!

COB6029, the Haynes car, has a properly wonky job that actually appears slightly convex in the lower tube:

...but given the bends in the top curve, shows what later damage can do!

However, Colin's extensive research clearly shows that most cars do, and probably did, have a concave curve in this lower tube. I can't believe it was designed that way - the 'McQueen' car, still new at the showrooms, above, shows that it almost certainly wasn't. But like dictionaries, which only reflect usage of words, not absolute definitions, original cars now often (probably more often than not) show this curve. It may be due to poor manufacture, fitting issues or later damage, but they're there and that's that. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to bend a new bar to copy this for my reasons already stated, and it's hardly a diagnostic clincher for an original car. But either straight or curved is acceptable as far as I'm concerned.

just a note - stainless steel is right out...
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I'm inclined to agree. There seems no logical reason for the bottom tube to have been designed with a curve, bearing in mind that the lower edge of the intake is straight. :?

That Haynes car is properly wonky. :shock:

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I love COB6029. It's fantastically ratty, with overspray all over the inner wings, all sorts of period bodges to fix bits everywhere. It's a real used classic car, with no cosmetic trailer-queen stuff anywhere. Glorious.
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Talking of patinated cars, check out all of the pictures here... :lol:

http://www.boldride.com/ride/1964/shelby-cobra-289

Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

The chap who took those photos (Darin Schnabel) has a lot of other superblious ones on his web page here: http://darinschnabel.format.com/#0
Maxakarudy

Post by Maxakarudy »

The consideration of details regarding the contouring of the front nudge bar on this forum would probably blow the mind of the guys back in the day who were making these workhorses.
My opinion, judging by all the differences, would be to make one that looks right and fits my car, tailored...
Martin
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

OCD wrote: Colin inferred that he had more detail regarding the lower rail, so maybe he can elaborate a little.

4) The various models of Cobras I have accumulated over the years (although there the evidence is mixed to be fair - its curved on one high end model I have for sure).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n370me10kwora ... D.jpg?dl=0
DavidP
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidP »

Hello, are there any further thoughts / news about this. I was speaking to europa this morning and they have 3 different types. The one i was steered to seem to have less of a 'lower curvature', even though it is not flat or even reversed.
I was wondering if anyone had fitted a europa one?, are they fabricated by the same as hawk?.